OSP Construction Supervisor, Charlottesville VA
Ting Internet is a leading fiber Internet provider in the United States, delivering future-proof internet in over a dozen Ting Towns across the country.
We are rapidly growing our footprint, and with a national focus on better infrastructure, we don’t expect to slow down anytime soon!
As part of Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC), Ting is backed by outstanding resources and talent. We embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and flexibility. We believe that whatever works for our employees is what works best for us. It’s also why the majority of our roles are remote-first, meaning you can work from anywhere you can connect to the internet!
The work we do genuinely changes lives. If this sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you!
About the opportunity
The OSP Construction Supervisor will be counted on for training and mentorship the team, while also handling escalated construction operations and technical issues. During outsourcing of portions of the fiber construction function, this role will also focus on construction vendors deploying telecom networks to manage performance and validations for approving invoices. This position will be responsible for oversight of a fiber and/or hybrid (fiber/fixed wireless) market.
What you'll be doing:
- Performing construction-related dispatches, as needed, to build a network throughout residential and commercial neighborhoods.
- Train team members to complete fiber placement and splicing duties.
- Liaising with Local Manager to perform assigned safety and quality inspection scenarios.
- Accountability to Local Manager for Fiber Construction related to Residential, MDU, and Enterprise activities, including drop work.
- Ensuring all required materials for construction are properly checked out from Inventory.
- Proactively and consistently review the day's scheduled work and assist where needed to maintain scheduled productivity and provide technical coaching where necessary.
- Act as a local technical leader regarding fiber restoration efforts and OSP troubleshooting.
- Acting as the local senior construction escalation contact for your team, Customer Support, and Network Engineering.
- Conduct site surveys as required.
- Participate in local marketing events as needed.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
- Attend meetings as requested.
- All other duties assigned by the manager.
What you'll bring:
- 3+ years supervising team members and construction vendors in the implementation of underground telecom networks.
- Working with GIS and Network documentation systems and databases.
- Familiar with refining, and optimizing MSA with field services providers.
- Expectation and performance management.
- Ability foster collaborative solutions to elevate vendor relationships into strategic partnerships that benefit all parties involved.
- Familiar with telecom construction standards and best practices.
A little more about you:
- Bias for quality of construction relative to an evolving set of construction, standards.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong integrity with an objective logical approach.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective reporting and metrics.
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making ability.
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Ting and Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
As a safety sensitive position, Tucows reserves the right to administer pre-employment drug testing for illegal drug use for those successful candidates presented with an offer of employment for consideration.
Learn more about Tucows, our culture and employee benefits on our site here.