Director, Governance, Risk & Compliance - Information Security
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is possibly the biggest Internet company you’ve never heard of. We started as a simple shareware site in 1993 and have grown into a stable of businesses; mobile, internet and domains.
We embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and flexibility. We believe that whatever works for our employees is what works best for us. It’s also why the majority of our roles are remote-first, meaning you can work from anywhere you can connect to the internet!
Today, close to a thousand people work in over 16 countries to help us make the Internet better. If this sounds exciting to you, join the herd!
About the Role
We are seeking a Director of Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) to join our dynamic and fast-growing team. The successful candidate will advance our governance, risk, and compliance to the next stage; ensuring our continued readiness to address a changing regulatory and risk landscape.
This person will play a pivotal role in further developing our comprehensive strategies and frameworks to expertly manage and mitigate risks, strengthen corporate governance, and ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards. This strategic leadership position requires a deep understanding of GRC practices within the technology industry, as well as the ability to lead change, collaborate with stakeholders, and foster a culture of ethical behavior and corporate responsibility.
The position will report into the Chief Information Security Officer.
- Governance: Lead and refine the corporate governance framework, ensuring continued compliance with all statutory and corporate regulations.
- Risk Management:
- Identify and assess risks across the organization, including operational, financial, regulatory, security and reputational risks.
- Ensure and maintain a comprehensive risk management framework, including risk identification, measurement, mitigation, and monitoring strategies.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to enhance risk management practices and ensure risk awareness is continually embedded throughout the organization.
- Compliance: Ensure that all company operations and business transactions follow all relevant current and are prepared for emerging legal and internal rules, including international and domestic data security and privacy laws.
- Policy Development and Management: Elevate, manage, and maintain comprehensive GRC policies and procedures.
- Training and Awareness: Conduct training sessions to ensure employees are educated about the latest regulations and processes relating to GRC.
- Audit and Reporting: Conduct audits to ensure adherence to GRC practices, preparing and presenting regular reports to senior management across our lines of business.
- Engage with Stakeholders:
- Collaborate with internal collaborators, including executive leadership, legal counsel, finance, and HR, to ensure alignment of governance, risk management, and compliance strategies with organizational goals.
- Cultivate relationships with external partners, such as regulatory bodies, auditors, and industry associations, to stay informed about emerging trends, regulations, and best practices.
- Bachelor's degree in Law, Business Administration, Finance, or related field; an advanced degree or certification (e.g., MBA, CISA, CRISC, CGEIT) is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar role in a tech company, preferably in a publicly traded company.
- Extensive knowledge of governance, risk management, and compliance best practices, methodologies, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Proven experience developing and implementing GRC strategies in a complex business environment.
- Excellent leadership and team management skills, with proven ability to work effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Strong communication skills, and able to articulate complex issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Highly analytical, with a problem-solving attitude.
- High level of integrity and professional ethics. #LI-NA1
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing the digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Learn more about Tucows, our culture and employee benefits on our site here.