Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
PurposeMed was founded in 2019 with the mission of improving access to complex care for underserved communities. We’ve grown to over 200 team members, serving hundreds of patients each month, and are continuing to grow rapidly.
PurposeMed consists of two complex care business units; Freddie, Frida, and partners with Affirming Care Pharmacy. Freddie is focused on improving sexual health through education, prevention and treatment with a focus on the LGBTQ2S+ community—we’re now the largest HIV prevention service in Canada! Our second vertical, Frida, is focused on improving mental health and happiness through education, diagnosis and treatment. Frida is changing the lives of patients with easier access to adult ADHD diagnosis, and fast and affordable treatment. Affirming Care Pharmacy is a specialty pharmacy with locations in Calgary, Alberta and Mississauga, Ontario. This partnership provides our patients with an end-to-end healthcare experience, from treatment, to prescription delivery, to continuous affirming care.
We are a C100 Fellow, a member of the Lazaridis Institute, and a certified Great Place to Work® (92% of our employees agree)! Our culture is highly mission-driven; our team is passionate about bringing healthcare to those who need it most. Best of all—we have fun doing it.
Who we hope to find:
PurposeMed is in search of an exceptional Chief Financial Officer (CFO) who can help us drive growth and profitability across our various business units (Freddie, Frida, Affirming Care, and future verticals). Reporting directly to the CEO, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the financial strategy of the company while ensuring the continued financial health of the organization. Our mission is to provide thousands of patients from underserved communities with access to quality care, and we need a strategic CFO with a hands-on approach to help us achieve that.
While we are a remote-first organization across Canada, due to the nature of the CFO position, we're looking for candidates who are located in or willing to relocate to Calgary, AB, where we are headquartered and where many of our founders and executives reside.
In this role, you’ll make an impact by:
- Managing, mentoring, and developing the finance team while fostering a culture of excellence and collaboration
- The existing finance team (currently 4 team members: 3 full-time, 1 part-time) has been focused on building a strong financial reporting and administrative foundation for the organization
- The group will continue to be focused on augmenting and scaling the day-to-day tactical aspects of the organization allowing the CFO to focus the majority of their time on strategic activities and fundraising
- This provides a unique opportunity for the right candidate as the current team is anticipated to continue to be primarily responsible for the majority of day-to-day activities
- Directing and overseeing all financial operations of the company, including budgeting, forecasting, accounting, and financial reporting
- Ensuring the financial health of the organization by monitoring and analyzing financial performance, identifying and mitigating financial risks, and making recommendations for improvement
- Supporting the corporate strategic planning process, providing guidance and insights on the development and implementation of organizational goals, policies, strategic projects and operational plans
- Managing relationships with investors, lenders, and other financial stakeholders, as well as maintaining open lines of communication with external partners
- Developing, managing, and monitoring the company's budget, including forecasting revenue and expenses and ensuring effective cash flow management
- Providing financial insights and guidance to the executive team and other stakeholders to support informed decision-making
- Ensuring legal compliance with all financial regulations and laws, and maintaining robust internal controls and risk management practices
- Leading fundraising efforts, including the identification and pursuit of funding opportunities, and managing relationships with existing investors
- Overseeing tax planning and compliance, ensuring that the organization meets all tax obligations and takes advantage of applicable tax benefits
- Collaborating with the CEO and other executives to evaluate and pursue potential mergers, acquisitions, partnerships or other strategic growth opportunities
- Continuously assessing the finance team’s structure, roles and responsibilities, and identifying opportunities to optimize efficiency and effectiveness
- Spearheading initiatives to secure government grants and non-dilutive capital, identifying potential funding opportunities, and managing the application process to maximize the organization's access to these financial resources, thus supporting the company's growth without diluting equity
We need someone who has:
- Likely 15+ years of experience in finance, accounting, or related field, with 5+ years in a senior/executive financial leadership role
- CPA/CA designation
- A track record of helping a company and finance team grow from seed/Series A through multiple funding rounds, working with lending institutions and private/growth equity firms to secure capital
- A driven and resourceful approach to problem solving: you’re analytical and data driven, and will research complex problems in depth to come up with the optimal solution
- An advanced understanding of general commercial and business operations
- Experience collaborating with leaders at many levels/departments and operating/leading through periods of change
- A 'builder' mentality, with a proven ability to create, document, and scale best practices in finance, even in environments with little existing structure
- Demonstrated success in leading and motivating your team, as well as the willingness to roll up your sleeves and address issues hands on when needed
It would also be great if you have:
- A CFA designation
- Proficiency using various types of accounting and reporting software, ERP systems, and data analytics systems (we also use the Google Suite of tools, Slack and Notion internally for general documentation and communication)
- Previous experience working in healthcare, technology, or pharmacy industries, and/or a strong understanding of their unique financial challenges and opportunities
Do you think you could be our next Chief Financial Officer? We look forward to seeing your application!
Why you should join us:
- Be part of a team of great people who don’t take themselves too seriously. While we’re serious about the problems we solve, we believe in having fun along the way.
- Make an impact, every single day. We’re providing compassionate, affirming care to many people who have never received care for their condition.
- Receive great benefits from your first day of work. We offer plenty of paid time off, a parental leave top-up program, group benefits, learning stipends and other perks.
- Work flexibly, from anywhere across Canada.* We believe that work should fit around your life. We also have an office in Calgary available for anyone in the area!
- Be confident in bringing your whole self to work. Inclusivity is core to how we take care of our patients, our teammates and ourselves. We create spaces that are safe and affirming.
If you are looking for a place that sparks your creativity, helps others, and will push you to be your best, then you’ll love PurposeMed.
*Most of our roles are performed virtually from home (in a distributed team environment) across Canada. Team members who are in “onsite” roles at Affirming Care need to be physically present at our pharmacies.
PurposeMed is committed to being an equal opportunity employer, so we highly encourage those from excluded and marginalized communities to apply. This includes groups such as (but not limited to): Indigenous, Black, and racialized communities, trans and non-binary, LGBTQIA2S+, disabled, and HIV-positive people. You don’t have to check every single box above. If the job description gets you excited and you think you could contribute your expertise to our team—we hope you’ll apply!
Something looks off?