Nurse Practitioner - British Columbia
PurposeMed was founded in 2019 with the mission of improving access to complex care for underserved communities. We’ve grown quickly in our first few years, and now our exceptional team serves thousands of patients each month across our multiple verticals.
PurposeMed consists of three complex care business units: Freddie, Frida, and Foria, and partners with Affirming Care Pharmacy. Freddie is focused on improving sexual health through education, prevention, and treatment with a focus on the LGBTQ2S+ community—we’re now the largest HIV prevention service in Canada! Our second vertical, Frida, is focused on improving mental health and happiness through education, diagnosis, and treatment. Frida is changing the lives of patients with easier access to adult ADHD diagnosis, and fast and affordable treatment. Foria was recently launched in 2023 and is a virtual clinic providing trans, non-binary, and gender-diverse Canadians with gender-affirming healthcare. Affirming Care Pharmacy is a specialty pharmacy with locations in Calgary, Alberta, and Mississauga, Ontario. This partnership provides our patients with an end-to-end healthcare experience, from treatment, to prescription delivery, to continuous affirming care.
We’re one of LinkedIn’s Top 15 Startups in Canada, the #2 Company-to-Watch in Deloitte’s prestigious Technology Fast 50® program, and a member of the Team True North® roster as one of Canada’s fastest-growing and most promising startups. Our culture is highly mission-driven; our team is passionate about bringing healthcare to those who need it most. Best of all—we have fun doing it.
Permanent, full-time (as an employee), or part-time opportunity (as an independent contractor)
Location - Remote (BC - candidates must be based in British Columbia)
Though we have an office based in Calgary, this is a remote position that is open to candidates across Canada. PurposeMed's office is located on the unceded and traditional territories of the peoples of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Blackfoot First Nation tribes of Siksika, the Piikuni, the Kainai, the Stoney Nakoda First Nations tribes of Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley and the Tsuut’ina First Nation. The city of Calgary is also homeland to the historic Northwest Métis and to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region 3.
Who we hope to find:
We are looking for caring and compassionate Nurse Practitioners to deliver exceptional care through our innovative brands - Freddie, Frida, and Foria. Our patients are our #1 priority and we strive to provide compassionate and understanding care that goes beyond the traditional and stigmatized doctor’s office visits.
In this role, you will be providing seamless evaluation and treatment for mental, sexual, and/or trans health in underserved communities. This role works closely with our Clinical Operations teams to ensure the best care for our patients. We utilize expert clinicians combined with leading technology to reduce barriers to accessing healthcare.
We’re offering various opportunities ranging from contractor to casual/part-time positions.
In this role, you’ll make an impact by:
- Delivering inclusive, expert clinical virtual care to patients through the PurposeMed platform.
- Conducting thorough evaluations, prescribing medications, and interpreting lab tests.
- Maintaining detailed patient records in our Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system.
- Contributing to the ongoing improvement of patient care and service delivery.
We need someone who has:
- A Master's degree in Nursing and a Primary Health Care or Adult/Acute Care Nurse Practitioner diploma.
- Active Nurse Practitioner registration with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives.
- Minimum 1 year of practice experience as a Nurse Practitioner within the last 5 years, or 2+ years of Registered Nurse experience in mental health, sexual health, or gender-affirming care.
- Strong communication skills, empathetic care delivery, and a non-judgmental approach.
It would also be great if you have:
- Experience working with gender and sexually diverse communities.
- Experience providing mental health care.
- Experience providing virtual care.
- Experience working in the private sector, a start-up, or a technology company.
- Experience working in an independent or autonomous practice setting.
- $125,000 - $130,000 CAD a year (based on a full-time position)
- The compensation listed above refers to a yearly base salary that may vary depending on a candidate's relevant qualifications, knowledge, competencies and work experience, and other factors including market conditions. Base pay is just one aspect of our total rewards at PurposeMed—see our other exciting benefits below!
Do you think you could be our next Nurse Practitioner? We look forward to seeing your application!
Why you should join us:
- Be part of a team of great people who don’t take themselves too seriously. While we’re serious about the problems we solve, we believe in having fun along the way.
- Make an impact, every single day. We’re providing compassionate, affirming care to many people who have never received the proper support before.
- Be confident in bringing your whole self to work. Inclusivity is core to how we take care of our patients, our teammates, and ourselves. We create spaces that are safe and affirming.
What we’re offering (based on full-time, permanent roles):
Work/life flexibility and time off:
- Work flexibly within a team that’s remote friendly; we believe that work should fit around your life*
- 20 vacation days and a team that will remind you to use them!
- Annual winter break closure
Care for your physical and mental health:
- Extended medical, dental, and vision care starting on your first day of work!
- 8 wellness days
- $500 health and wellness spending account
- $2,000 mental health coverage with additional free online counseling through Inkblot Therapy and FeelingBetterNow mental health assessments
- $20,000 of lifetime coverage for gender-affirming care and procedures
Investment in your learning and growth:
- $500 learning fund to use towards courses and other professional development
- Our unique People Potential program, in which you'll partner with your manager to identify opportunities to grow and achieve your full potential
- $3,400 lifetime coverage for fertility drugs
- Parental leave program for birthing and non-birthing parents–your choice of:
- Short term: 4 weeks off to use flexibly in your first year of parenting
- Long-term: 13 weeks EI top-op
Eligible team members and their dependents** also receive no-cost access to PurposeMed’s services:
- Freddie: PrEP assessment and follow-up appointments
- Frida: ADHD assessment and follow-up appointments
- Foria: Gender-affirming care services
If you are looking for a place that sparks your creativity, helps others, and will push you to be your best, then you’ll love PurposeMed.
PurposeMed is committed to being an equal-opportunity employer, and we highly encourage those from excluded and marginalized communities to apply. This includes groups such as (but not limited to): Indigenous, Black, and racialized communities, trans and non-binary, LGBTQ2S+, disabled, and HIV-positive people. You don’t have to check every single box above. If the job description gets you excited and you think you could contribute your expertise to our team—we hope you’ll apply!
*Most of our roles are performed virtually from home across Canada. Team members working onsite at Affirming Care pharmacies do need to be physically present.
**Permanent team members (employees) and their dependents are eligible, however, the person receiving the assessment must live in a province in which Freddie, Frida, or Foria operates, and be over the age of 18.