Senior Game Platform Developer
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2024
Prodigy Education is a global leader in game-based learning and is one of the fastest-growing EdTech companies in North America. Our mission is to help every student in the world love learning, motivating millions worldwide via fun, secure and accessible curriculum-aligned gameplay experiences. Visit www.prodigygame.com to learn more.
The Engineering team builds and operates a high performance, scalable, reliable, and secure technology platform that will allow us to transform education and deliver effective learning experiences to every student in the world. We do this by building for tomorrow, failing fast and early, and empowering each other to make things better. Interested in learning more about what we're working on? Visit the Prodigy Engineering blog at https://medium.com/prodigy-engineering
Our Math game has evolved from a small-scale application into one of the most widely played MMORPGs globally, and our newly launched English game is in its early stages. This accomplishment is attributed to the support of our internal tools and the exceptional platform team.
To advance and broaden our Platform Tools, we are looking for a dedicated Senior Game Platform Developer who harbors a profound passion for game development.. This individual will leverage their expertise to construct internal tools, amplifying the productivity of feature teams. Moreover, they will identify opportunities for technological improvement and innovation while coaching fellow developers on the team to elevate their skills.
- You will write exceptional code that brings immersive experiences to life for young learners.
- Your commitment to delivering outstanding experiences reflects your enthusiasm for software engineering.
- Your ability to balance swift development with future-proofing is your hallmark.
- Work closely with game designers, artists, product managers, producers, and QA to develop immersive gameplay experiences that seamlessly integrate technical implementation with the game design vision.
- Draw on your extensive history in game development, you will span the entire software development lifecycle: encompassing system design, code implementation, automated testing, tooling, deployment, and observability.
- You will propose and build enhancements to the architecture and design of the game’s systems to pave the way for future features.
- Provide technical leadership within your cross-functional game development team.
- Help guide the team’s technical direction and cultivate a culture of excellence, providing valuable input in code reviews and pairing sessions.
- Optimize game performance across various platforms and devices, ensuring that gameplay is smooth and enjoyable for kids playing in schools and at home.
- 4+ years of experience in the game development field, with a focus on game tooling and pipelines.
- A genuine passion for game development, coupled with the ability to design and construct high-quality software.
- Proven track record in developing tooling for live service games, particularly those in a web-based environment.
- You possess a robust understanding of design patterns, algorithms, memory management, and performance optimization.
- Solid foundation in both scripting and strongly-typed object-oriented languages.
- Knowledgeable about software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, build processes, and testing.
- Flourishes in the dynamic and expanding landscape of a rapidly growing company, showcasing resilience in such settings. Unafraid to venture beyond your comfort zone to embrace new opportunities, driven by a passion for continuous learning.
- Experience working with Live Games
- Experience working with multiple engines
- Our game is built using a bespoke HTML5 game engine and editor built on top of PixiJS and written in TypeScript.
- Our Game Editor is an Electron App written using React/Typescript.
Working At Prodigy
- Be part of a mission-driven organization dedicated to helping every student in the world love learning! At Prodigy Education, your work positively impacts the lives of millions of students and teachers worldwide.
- Join a company which empowers a Growth Mindset among its team members, so you grow as we do. You’ll also work on award-winning products which harness the magic of math and power of language for students in grades 1st-8th.
- We understand that a thriving team is at the core of our success. So, on top of an inspirational mission and rewarding work, our Total Rewards Program reflects our commitment to your financial, physical, and mental well-being.
- It’s not just about the work though; it's about the culture. As the Toronto Star reports in a recent feature on Prodigy: "Prodigy’s secret sauce is that it sees its corporate culture as something that is built slowly from the ground up and is always evolving.” Check it out here.
- #LI-Remote, #LI-SM1
Prodigy Math is used by almost one million teachers a year, and was named the most popular supplemental education platform in classrooms in the United States! Our products have also won numerous consumer awards, including the Mom’s Choice Award, Parent and Teacher Choice Awards, and National Parenting Product Award.
Come as you are. We believe the power of our collective potential will transform education. We are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to empower and create access and opportunity for all. We welcome applications from people from all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender, age, or religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, BIPOC and other underrepresented races and nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to the further diversification of Prodigy Education. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply!
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Prodigy Education will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please notify us at email@example.com, and we will work with you to meet your needs.