Senior Game Designer
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2023
Prodigy Education is a global leader in game-based learning and is one of the fastest-growing EdTech companies in North America. Our mission is to help every student in the world love learning, motivating millions worldwide via fun, secure and accessible curriculum-aligned gameplay experiences. Visit www.prodigygame.com to learn more.
Prodigy's design practice weaves marketing, product, and game efforts into coherent experiences that inspire students to love learning, infused with brand personality, deep customer understanding, and AAA-level craft. In the design practice we have 5 core values: Impact, Excellence, Curiosity, Empowerment, and Ingenuity.
At Prodigy, we are on a thrilling journey to fulfill our mission: Helping every student in the world to LOVE learning. As a Game Designer at Prodigy, you will embark on an exhilarating adventure, shaping the destinies of millions of students by creating electrifying in-game experiences that spark their passion for learning. You’ll be the creative powerhouse shaping our game design, crafting thrilling architectural advancements, and molding dynamic structural designs to make the gaming experience for students a blast. You will breathe life into both brand-new features and beloved classics, and be a mastermind behind crafting an experience that not only challenges students but also empowers them to thrive. Your mission: to conquer complex design challenges with unparalleled speed and deliver nothing short of top-tier quality. Join us and be a part of this exhilarating journey towards revolutionizing education!
- Be the creative powerhouse shaping our game design with a focus on crafting thrilling, gamified experiences
- Develop a deep understanding of our players, their challenges, and how Prodigy can make learning a blast
- Help Prodigy provide an engaging, compelling experience to students across our grade spectrum through the Math game
- Be at the forefront of shifting, evolving, and growing the game by improving existing features and introducing new ones
- Breathe life into both brand-new features and beloved classics, acting as a mastermind behind an experience that challenges and empowers students to thrive
- Conquer complex design challenges with unparalleled speed, delivering top-tier quality to revolutionize education
- You have a proven track record in crafting immersive gaming experiences through sophisticated economic system designs
- A devoted game designer with 4-7 years of experience in game design and a serious passion for the craft!
- Someone well-versed in RPG design and free-to-play mechanics
- Knowledge of games as a service, their metrics (retention, engagement, conversion) and LiveOps
- You have a true passion for gaming, enjoying a wide range of games, and can engage in lengthy discussions about both games and the gaming industry
- Experienced in developing new features, as well as understanding and enhancing the design of existing features
- Having several significant releases in your portfolio, each contributing valuable lessons and experiences
- Proficient in verbal communication, with the flexibility to tailor your message effectively for the best reception within your target audience
- Exceedingly thorough in documentation, guaranteeing the comprehensive capture of all particulars while maintaining the reliability of the information collected
- Excited by the challenges that come with a rapidly growing and scaling company
- Passionate about mentoring - you love passing on what you've learned as much as you love learning new things
- Not afraid to stretch yourself outside of your comfort zone to take on new challenges, and have a love for continuous learning
- Experience with game engines like Unity, Unreal, Phaser, and/or PIXI
- Understanding of core competency with turn-based combat, economy balancing, upgrade systems, and social elements
- Google Suite, Jira & Confluence, Periscope, Dovetail, Optimizely
Working At Prodigy
- Be part of a mission-driven organization dedicated to helping every student in the world love learning! At Prodigy Education, your work positively impacts the lives of millions of students and teachers worldwide.
- Join a company which empowers a Growth Mindset among its team members, so you grow as we do. You’ll also work on award-winning products which harness the magic of math and power of language for students in grades 1st-8th.
- We understand that a thriving team is at the core of our success. So, on top of an inspirational mission and rewarding work, our Total Rewards Program reflects our commitment to your financial, physical, and mental well-being.
- It’s not just about the work though; it's about the culture. As the Toronto Star reports in a recent feature on Prodigy: "Prodigy’s secret sauce is that it sees its corporate culture as something that is built slowly from the ground up and is always evolving.” Check it out here.
Prodigy Math is used by almost one million teachers a year, and was named the most popular supplemental education platform in classrooms in the United States! Our products have also won numerous consumer awards, including the Mom’s Choice Award, Parent and Teacher Choice Awards, and National Parenting Product Award.
Come as you are. We believe the power of our collective potential will transform education. We are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to empower and create access and opportunity for all. We welcome applications from people from all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender, age, or religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, BIPOC and other underrepresented races and nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to the further diversification of Prodigy Education. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply!
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Prodigy Education will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please notify us at email@example.com, and we will work with you to meet your needs.