Director, Game Engineering
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, August 3, 2023
Prodigy Education is a global leader in game-based learning and is one of the fastest-growing EdTech companies in North America. Our mission is to help every student in the world love learning, motivating millions worldwide via fun, secure and accessible curriculum-aligned gameplay experiences. Visit www.prodigygame.com to learn more.
The Engineering team builds and operates a high performance, scalable, reliable, and secure technology platform that will allow us to transform education and deliver effective learning experiences to every student in the world. We do this by building for tomorrow, failing fast and early, and empowering each other to make things better. Interested in learning more about what we're working on? Visit the Prodigy Engineering blog at https://medium.com/prodigy-engineering
We offer a hybrid work environment, providing employees the flexibility to choose whether they work in the office or from home on any given day. People leaders and team members are empowered to determine what works best based on business needs. We continue to encourage in-person collaboration to enhance the sense of community and connection.
Prodigy’s flagship Math game boasts an impressive user base of over ~7M Monthly Active Students who embark on fun and exciting online fantasy-style adventures, completing quests, levelling up, and collecting pets - all while practicing adaptive math across 1500 math skills.
As the Director of Game Engineering for our Math Game, your primary focus will be overseeing the technical aspects of game development and delivery. You will use your exceptional leadership abilities, profound technical expertise, and an unwavering passion for creating extraordinary gaming experiences to delight students and help them to love learning.
Your mission is to guide and inspire a team of talented engineering managers and their teams to deliver game improvements crucial to our company's growth and mission. Embrace the opportunity to apply your expertise in game development, frameworks, and management to deliver high-quality live gaming experiences to all students. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy leveraging modern software, this role is perfect for you!
- Inspire and lead high-performing engineering teams and managers, empowering them to deliver their best work.
- Work cross-functionally to set overarching objectives and key results for your direct reports and teams.
- Build strong engineering teams. You’ll drive staffing, budget, and training to ensure that team members can accomplish our shared goals.
- Lead your team in overseeing the end-to-end product development process, from concept to launch. Collaborate with various departments, including product management and design, to ensure timely and budget-conscious game experiences that delight kids.
- Continuously improve velocity and quality by collecting valuable feedback and metrics to drive changes in the delivery process. Your keen eye will identify and eliminate bottlenecks, ensuring seamless progress and exceptional results.
- Tackle the unique challenges of maintaining a live service game that continuously improves and serves millions of kids.
- Apply modern practices of Agile and DevOps to the unique challenges of game development.
- Collaborate with cross-functional leads to make technical investments that ensure we can build excellent game experiences now and into the future.
- Leverage your expertise to shape our technology and process decisions. Your insights into the strengths and weaknesses of our current setup will drive collaborative efforts with your teams to enhance it further. Together, we'll build a stronger and more efficient foundation for success.
- Set and maintain the quality bar for your team. Contribute to the organization’s shared engineering quality expectations.
- With a genuine passion for games and over 10 years of experience in the game development space, you will bring valuable expertise in building captivating game features, including at least 4 years in technical leadership positions.
- Demonstrated proficiency in programming and a strong command of game development frameworks, tools, asset management, and engines.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, enabling effective collaboration with cross-functional teams.
- Proven track record of successfully delivering high-quality games from initial concept to final release, preferably across multiple platforms.
- Possessing a high level of proficiency in utilizing qualitative and quantitative data to inform decisions with extensive experience in experimentation, testing, and measurement of feature and liveops performance and impact, as well as ensuring the overall health of the game.
- Outstanding leadership and management abilities, capable of inspiring and motivating multiple teams (4-5) to achieve shared goals.
- In-depth knowledge of game development processes, tools, pipelines, and industry best practices.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical capabilities, making informed decisions in fast-paced and dynamic environments.
- Passionate about gaming, with a keen understanding of current trends and market dynamics.
- Our game is built using a bespoke HTML5 game engine and editor built on top of PixiJS and written in TypeScript.
- Our Game Editor is an Electron App written using React/Typescript.
- Live Service is provided by TypeScript APIs hosted via Kubernetes.
- Experience working with Live Games.
- Experience working with HTML5 games and game engines.
Working At Prodigy
- Why Prodigy? Here at Prodigy, our employees are the foundation of our organization - an asset that transforms our mission into a reality! For this reason, we offer our employees a Total Rewards Program that is geared towards their financial, physical and mental well-being.
- Employees receive full health benefits from day one! Including separate allocation for mental health.
- Employee stock options and savings plan
- $500.00 to create your own work from home set-up
- We pride ourselves on constant learning, which is why we offer our employees an annual learning fund of $1200.00
- Prodigy Savings Program (RRSP, TFSA)
- We value wellness, so in addition to wellness classes and benefits, we also offer an additional $720.00 fund to all employees
- Flexibility to choose whether you work from home or in-office, based on what works best on any given day
- Flexible working hours
- Monthly “no meeting day” Tuesdays
- Extended long weekends throughout the year!
- Want to work from anywhere in the world? We offer 4 weeks of "work from anywhere" per year!
- Get a sense of our culture through one of our news article written by the Toronto star There’s more to corporate culture than mandatory fun!, following an interview with our Chief People officer on how we create an engaging, flexible and fulfilling work environment! https://www.thestar.com/business/mars/2023/04/10/theres-more-to-corporate-culture-than-mandatory-fun.html
- #LI-SM1, #LI-Hybrid
Please note: the privacy and security of our users are of the utmost importance to us, and all employees will be expected to act in accordance with Prodigy’s stringent security policies.
Follow us on Instagram to learn more, or visit our website at www.prodigygame.com to view additional benefits and perks and our Culture Blog.
Come as you are. We believe the power of our collective potential will transform education. We are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to empower and create access and opportunity for all. We welcome applications from people from all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender, age, or religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, BIPOC and other underrepresented races and nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to the further diversification of Prodigy Education. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply!
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Prodigy Education will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will work with you to meet your needs.