Senior Game Developer - English Game
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2023
Prodigy Education is a global leader in game-based learning and is one of the fastest-growing EdTech companies in North America. Our mission is to help every student in the world love learning, motivating millions worldwide via fun, secure and accessible curriculum-aligned gameplay experiences. Visit www.prodigygame.com to learn more.
The Engineering team builds and operates a high performance, scalable, reliable, and secure technology platform that will allow us to transform education and deliver effective learning experiences to every student in the world. We do this by building for tomorrow, failing fast and early, and empowering each other to make things better. Interested in learning more about what we're working on? Visit the Prodigy Engineering blog at https://medium.com/prodigy-engineering
We offer a hybrid work environment, providing employees the flexibility to choose whether they work in the office or from home on any given day. People leaders and team members are empowered to determine what works best based on business needs. We continue to encourage in-person collaboration to enhance the sense of community and connection.
Your expertise and experience as a Senior Game Developer will enhance our team's workflow and create innovative features for our English Game, an immersive village-building simulation that facilitates grammar and core concept learning for children. You will identify technological advancements and provide guidance and support to fellow developers so that their skills can be elevated.
- Opportunity to take on the development of a particular component or area of the codebase, for your broader team
- Take ownership of your team's work and find innovative solutions to complex problems
- Create solutions to complex problems, managing simplicity, completeness, performance, and risk tolerance
- Collaborate effectively with artists, designers, product managers, producers, QA, and other developers on your team
- Seek and incorporate reviews; handle testing, instrumentation, deployment, and monitoring
- Comfortable spiking or creating an MVP in order to ensure we learn quickly, and understand the appropriate tradeoffs to make to do so
- Provide thoughtful and constructive code reviews
- With a genuine passion for games and over 3 years' experience in the game development space, you will bring valuable expertise in building captivating game features
- Your extensive background in game development will be instrumental in contributing to the overall success of our projects and building high-quality games
- You’ll understand design patterns, algorithms, memory management, and performance optimization
- You’ll bring a strong foundation in both scripting and strongly-typed object-oriented languages
- You have a strong understanding of software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, build processes, and testing
- You are excited by challenges and thrive in a fast pace environment
- You are not afraid to stretch yourself outside of your comfort zone to tackle new opportunities, and love continuous learning
- Experience working with LIVE Games
- Our game is built using a bespoke HTML5 game engine and editor built on top of PixiJS and written in TypeScript.
- Our Game Editor is an Electron App written using React/Typescript.
Working At Prodigy
- Be part of a mission-driven organization dedicated to helping every student in the world love learning! At Prodigy Education, your work positively impacts the lives of millions of students and teachers worldwide.
- Join a company which empowers a Growth Mindset among its team members, so you grow as we do. You’ll also work on award-winning products which harness the magic of math and power of language for students in grades 1st-8th.
- We understand that a thriving team is at the core of our success. So, on top of an inspirational mission and rewarding work, our Total Rewards Program reflects our commitment to your financial, physical, and mental well-being.
- It’s not just about the work though; it's about the culture. As the Toronto Star reports in a recent feature on Prodigy: "Prodigy’s secret sauce is that it sees its corporate culture as something that is built slowly from the ground up and is always evolving.” Check it out here.
- #LI-Remote, #LI-SM1
Come as you are. We believe the power of our collective potential will transform education. We are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to empower and create access and opportunity for all. We welcome applications from people from all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender, age, or religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, BIPOC and other underrepresented races and nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to the further diversification of Prodigy Education. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply!
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Prodigy Education will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will work with you to meet your needs.