Senior Financial Analyst
Position title: Senior Financial Analyst
Location: Our office is located in Toronto, ON, Canada, however, the role is remote/hybrid/flexible. The candidate must be located in Canada.
Reports to: VP Finance & Operations
Practice Better is changing how Health & Wellness (H&W) professionals are working around the world. Nutrition-focused professionals in the H&W space have been underserved for too long with other software solutions which primarily focus on the medical community at large; with the Practice Better platform, H&W professionals can manage their entire practice on one platform, including billing, scheduling, client journaling and progress tracking, and other client management activities. Tens of thousands of Dietitians, Nutritionists, Health Coaches, and Functional Medicine Practitioners trust Practice Better to streamline their workload and help their clients reach their health goals.
We are currently a remote-first company, and the role is open to applicants located anywhere in Canada. You have the option of working remotely from home, or, if located near Toronto, we have an office in a central, downtown Toronto location for those wishing to work out of an office. Fully-remote, in-office, or hybrid - your choice!
About the Position
We’re looking for a full-time Senior Financial Analyst to join our small but mighty finance team. You would be operating as the right-hand person to the VP of Finance & Operations as the first full-time hire on the team, so there is tremendous opportunity to learn and grow with the company. The ideal candidate is someone who loves rolling up their sleeves and diving into new challenges, loves to take ownership of their work and operate with a high degree of autonomy, is extremely organized, and is highly process-oriented. This role will cover a breadth of responsibilities under the finance & operations team, including financial reporting, tax, FP&A and financial modelling, and data analytics. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced, startup environment while juggling multiple priorities, and is hungry to help scale-up the finance function of a fast-growing, globally-focused SaaS company.
It’s an exciting time to join Practice Better! We’ve just closed our first institutional round of financing, and are well-positioned for sustainable growth. We don’t have a “growth at all costs mentality”; instead, we are very meticulous and deliberate about our spend, which has allowed us to be cash-flow positive and profitable since day 1. We have every intention of continuing to be in that position, and this role will play a critical part in ensuring we stay that way while growing sustainably.
If you find fulfilment in delivering high-impact work while operating in the context of an early-stage startup, then we’d love to hear from you!
- Own all month-end / year-end financial reporting activities while working closely with our external accountants.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual management reporting as well as executive board materials.
- Support the financial planning / budgeting process across the company by partnering with functional leaders to influence cost savings, efficiencies, and process improvements.
- Conduct analysis between actuals, forecasts and budgets to understand variances and guide adjustments to forecasting assumptions.
- Create various financial and operational models to understand different scenarios and inform management for decision making.
- Develop deep knowledge of the overall business, and distill key business drivers to define KPIs and develop forecasting logic and assumptions for the company’s master operating model.
- Lead annual external audit and tax filings while liaising with external audit and tax advisory firms.
- Continuously evaluate systems and improve processes implemented by the finance team.
- Work closely with the company’s data analytics team to analyze data and present business insights using BI tools.
- Perform other strategic adhoc financial and/or research projects, as required.
- Undergraduate and/or Master’s degree in Business / Accounting.
- CPA/CA Designation with either 3-4 years of experience at a major professional services / accounting firm, or 4+ years of industry experience.
- Strong technical accounting knowledge (comfortable with applying both ASPE and IFRS).
- Expert level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel, and comfortable using Google Sheets.
- Comfortable synthesizing large, separate data sets for use in FP&A and financial modelling tasks.
- Deep understanding of the three financial statements and how they are linked together.
- Possess an entrepreneurial mindset and is naturally outcome-focused.
Nice to have:
- Previous experience working in an early-stage startup environment, preferably in a SaaS context.
- Proficient working knowledge of Xero.
- Intermediate working knowledge of SQL.
- Intermediate working knowledge of PowerBI.
- A friendly and inclusive culture that prioritizes weekly team bonding and monthly company-wide social events. We pride ourselves on maintaining a culture where everyone feels engaged, inspired, and excited to come to work every day.
- 100% employer-funded health and dental benefits, plus an HSA balance, starting from day 1
- Home office equipment (laptop, monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset - whatever you need to perform at your best!)
- An annual Professional Development allowance for continuous, self-directed growth and learning opportunities
- An annual Health & Wellness allowance for you to be well and work well
- Monthly employer-paid subscription to Dialogue for all employees
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- 5 paid sick days
Practice Better is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to accessibility, diversity, and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Practice Better is proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
Something looks off?