Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Friday, January 5, 2024
Flywheel’s suite of digital commerce solutions accelerate growth across all major digital marketplaces for the world’s leading brands. We give clients access to near real-time performance measurement and improve sales, share, and profit. With teams across the Americas, Europe and APAC, we offer a career with real impact, endless growth opportunities and the support you need to be the best you can be.
As an Engineering Manager on our team, you will work with our Engineering Leadership team to help lead the vision and execution for our Engineering team. As a leader on our team, you will help drive a cohesive strategy to take our team and products to the next phase of growth and scale.
You'll join a team of highly collaborative and passionate people on a mission to help give superpowers to anyone that sells online by building best-in-class e-commerce advertising products. A critical part of the role is to attract, develop, and retain the next generation of Engineering leaders and top talent in EMEA.
What You Will Do:
- Act as a sparring partner for the Product Manager, validating the feasibility of planned work
- Lead and mentor a team of Engineers
- Own the productivity of your team, ensuring that features are delivered predictably and frequently
- Own the well-being of your team, ensuring that delivery plans are realistic
- Develop functionality using Java and/or Kotlin, Apache Spark (up to 50% hands-on as needed)
- Collaborate with other teams and departments
Who You Are:
- You have a track record of enabling a team to meet ambitious schedules by clearly helping the team define what's in scope and what's notYou can define clear deliverables and timelines and communicate them to your team, your peers, and the rest of the organization
- You can manage multiple competing priorities for your team and ensure that everyone is crystal clear on expectations
- You have strong software engineering fundamentals, including systems architecture, algorithms, problem-solving and experience building web-based SaaS products
- You have expertise in distributed computing (e.g., Apache Spark) for efficient processing of large datasets within data-intensive applications
- You have experience in designing and optimising data pipelines using ETL orchestration tools (e.g., Apache Airflow, AWS Glue) to ensure seamless data flow in a complex environment
- You have experience and proficiency in writing complex SQL queries, including but not limited to data retrieval, analysis, and manipulation
- You have an understanding of how the Web and Cloud work and have experience working in AWS using IAC
- You have at least 7 years of experience in software development using Java stacks
- You have at least 2 years of team leadership experience
Working at Flywheel
We are proud to offer all Flywheelers a competitive rewards package and unparalleled career growth opportunities and a supportive, fun and engaging culture.
• We have office hubs across the globe where team members can go to feel productive, inspired, and connected to others
• 25 Vacation Days annually
• Great learning and development opportunities
• A well-located office in the heart of Berlin Mitte
• Professional coffee machine, and the best coffee beans Berlin has to offer
• Free food and drinks, regular team events
• Volunteering opportunities
• Our Berlin office follows a hybrid model, we encourage team members to work in person 1-2 times per week
• Learn more about us here: Life at Flywheel
The Interview Process:
Every role starts the same, an introductory call with someone from our Talent Acquisition team. We will be looking for company and values-fit as well as your professional experience; there may be some technical role-specific questions during this call.
Every role is different after the initial call, but you can expect to meet several people from the team 1:1 and there might be further skill assessments in the form of a Take Home Assignment/Case Study Presentation or Pair Programming/Live Coding exercise depending on the role. In your initial call, we will walk you through exactly what to expect the process to be.
At Flywheel, our goal is to create a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel comfortable in bringing their authentic selves to work. We want all Flywheel people to feel included and truly empowered to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Flywheel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. Everyone who applies will receive fair consideration for employment. We do not discriminate based upon race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
If you have any accessibility requirements that would make you more comfortable during the application and interview process, please let us know at email@example.com so that we can support you.
Please note, We do not accept unsolicited resumes.
IMPORTANT ALERT: Please beware of fraudulent job communications from individuals falsely claiming to be from Flywheel. We've identified fraudulent activity through social media and messaging services purporting to be from Flywheel requesting payments for job- and recruitment-related expenses. Flywheel never asks candidates for personal information such as bank account data or tax IDs nor payments via social media or chat-based applications. Report suspected fraud to local authorities immediately. To learn more, click here.