Senior Manager, Financial Reporting
Driven by the mission to democratize education, Paper is the largest provider of educational support, supporting millions of students through partnerships with thousands of school districts. Paper helps deliver true educational equity through their category leading Educational Support System (ESS) that offers virtual access to 24/7 tutors and essay reviewers. Founded in 2014, Paper philosophically believes that all students should be given the tools and resources to reach their academic potential, independent of socio-economic status, geography, language or other barriers. We are headquartered in Montreal, Quebec with remote employees across the US and Canada. Paper is proud to have been named by GSV as one of the most transformational growth companies in digital learning.
Job SummaryWe are actively seeking a Senior Manager of Financial Reporting with a strong background in US GAAP to join our team in the first quarter of 2024. As a key member of our finance department, you'll play a pivotal role in ensuring compliance and accuracy in our financial reporting. If you are a CPA-qualified accounting expert with 6-8 years of experience and a hunger for knowledge, we encourage you to apply and become part of our dynamic organization.
- Prepare quarterly and annual US GAAP financial statements and disclosures for investors and banks.
- Review and document customer contracts for ASC 606, including contract costs.
- Participate in the year-end audit and preparation of audited financial statements.
- Partner with the accounting team to generate monthly financial statements, certain accounting entries, and account reconciliations.
- Prepare technical memorandums for transactions and new accounting guidance, as needed.
- Stock-based compensation - maintain Carta with updates and prepare quarterly expense entries.
- Maintain Capitalization table.
- Subject matter expert on US GAAP, with a focus on providing advice and guidance on all technical accounting matters and preparation of documentation on the accounting assessment.
- Prepare and update accounting policy documents, as needed.
- Partner with Senior Manager Tax on annual tax provision.
- Execute internal controls with respect to financial policies, processes, and procedures.
- Support with global statutory filings.
- Initiate, develop, and maintain effective relationships with key internal business partners.
- Performs other responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field, CPA required
- 6-8 years of accounting experience in financial and regulatory reporting, with strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Fast learner with strong organization, analytical, and decision-making skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency while delivering high-quality work products
- Strong communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with others at all levels and functions across the Company
- Proven ability to work independently and as a team, join data from various sources, and develop creative and innovative solutions within an entrepreneurial environment
- Possess leadership skills and the ability to work with a team
- Proven ability to meet challenges, goals, and objectives with enthusiasm, drive, and initiative
- Advanced skills in Excel. Strongly proficient skills in Word, PowerPoint
Paper offers an exciting, dynamic, inclusive work environment putting excellence at the center of everything we do. Our mission is woven into the fabric of our culture, challenging our team to build meaningful and creative solutions.
We thrive when we collaborate with each other, and use integrity and selflessness to align our business decisions with our mission. We approach every challenge with positivity, achieving the outcome we want regardless of what gets in the way. Our tenacity propels our hyper-growth, where trust is key and we all strive to make an impact every day.
We believe that diverse teams build better products. Paper does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender orientation, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of its activities or operations.
Nobody checks every box, but the Paper team is built by passionate and innovative people who share our mission for democratizing education. If you don’t think you meet all of the requirements above but are still interested in the job, please apply.
PS. Equity is our mission! We make sure to treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our job board - our amazing talent team will reach out! Our team isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone.