Waterloo, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2023
About P&P Optica
PPO is using brand-new technology to transform an industry that affects everyone on the planet: the food industry. We apply a complex and highly sophisticated mix of hardware, software and huge datasets to improve both the safety and quality of the food we eat.
We’re a truly diverse team in every sense of the word, and our team is incredibly smart. Our culture is respectful and caring, and work-life balance is a real thing! PPO is a well-funded, scaling company with huge opportunities for career growth in every part of the organization.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to tackle challenging problems that affect everyone on the planet, PPO is the place for you.
This 6-month contract role is primarily in-person at PPO’s facility in Waterloo, Ontario. Depending on the specific project tasks, there may be an opportunity to occasionally work from home. Work travel within North America is also an important part of the role.
What You’ll Get To Do
The Lab Technician is a core role in the process of delivering solutions that knock the socks off our customers. High-quality data sets form the basis of every good machine-learning solution.
As part of the Professional Data Services Team, this role is involved with every aspect of data generation: gathering and interpreting customer requirements, creating detailed data collection plans, collecting data, and post-processing to perfection. Don’t be mistaken, even though the focus is on DATA, this is a multidisciplinary hands-on role with time spent in the field, the lab, and at a desk. Responsibilities for this role include:
Executing data collection activities using PPO’s Smart Imaging technology:
- Sample preparation & handling
- Operation of equipment to collect sample data
- Data labelling and post-processing
- Data entry, note-taking, and documentation
- Cleaning and equipment maintenance
Testing production Smart Imaging Systems at PPO:
- Execute test plans to verify System functionality and performance
- Sample preparation and product handling
- Data entry, note-taking, and documentation
- System cleaning
Data collection and testing Smart Imaging Systems at customer sites:
- Travel within North America and beyond to food manufacturing facilities
- Execute test plans to collect data and verify System performance
- Positively represent PPO to our customers and partners
- Support the execution of sales demonstrations to potential customers
- Support the execution of factory acceptance tests for Production Systems
- Support the generation of marketing materials (photos and video)
- Cleaning and organization of lab space, tools, equipment, etc.
You at PPO
The Professional Data Services Team is a fast-paced, agile team that uses its unique multidisciplinary perspective to quickly solve urgent problems. This team provides the perfect environment to quickly grow and develop a diverse set of technical and soft skills.
You are ready to roll up your sleeves and get the job done. You want to work for a fast-paced, growing company that focuses on providing innovative solutions to help its customers. You want to be part of a team of motivated people who are eager to solve challenging problems and learn new skills. You have a positive attitude, care about doing things right, and are motivated by making a positive impact.
Skills and Experience
- Undergraduate degree or college diploma in a relevant field
- 1+ years of relevant work experience
- Driven to make progress and achieve milestones
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Hands-on lab experience
- Data analysis experience
- Food industry experience is a significant asset
- Able to travel to the US, Europe, and Australia immediately (contingent on having a valid visa to enter the US at the time of hire)
- Valid passport
- Valid driver’s license
- Comfortable handling meat and working in a meat processing environment
If you think this job is a good fit for you but your skills and experience don’t match what we’ve listed, please apply! You can tell us in your cover letter why you think you’ll be a great candidate.
Life at PPO
You’ll REALLY love working at PPO. Here’s why:
Open Culture: our culture is based on openness and trust, and that’s reflected in everything we do. We’re a very diverse team and we celebrate what we share as well as our differences.
Supportive Environment: We love celebrating birthdays, work anniversaries and other special events. We also challenge each other to meet both our personal and professional goals.
Work-life Balance - Really! We believe in working hard. We also believe that work is just one part of life. We make sure you have time for activities and responsibilities outside of PPO. You also receive flex days in addition to your allocated vacation.
Social Events: You’re invited to join us at our monthly team social. Past socials include dumpling making, axe throwing and trivia.
Health Benefits: PPO offers very competitive benefits, including health, dental, vision and more for you and your dependents for permanent employees.
Hybrid Work Model: Depending on your role, you might work from home, our office or both.
Community Oriented: You’ll have an opportunity to participate in our annual team charity fundraiser. We are also proud to be part of Waterloo’s thriving Tech Hub.
Ongoing Learning: Learning is built into our culture at PPO. You’re encouraged to expand your knowledge and education through new experiences, courses, and other learning opportunities.
P&P Optica is committed to supporting a culture of diversity across our organization. Our hiring practices align with human rights laws, guaranteeing every person equal treatment in regard to employment and opportunity for employment, regardless of race, colour, creed/religion, sex, sexual orientation, or marital status. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.