Senior Electrical Designer
Nuvation Energy is seeking a talented and motivated Senior Electrical Designer to join our Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) design team. Candidates must have a strong background in electrical systems design, excellent technical expertise, as well as the ability to work well in a highly collaborative environment.
When you work for Nuvation Energy, you will be working on solving one of the most important problems of our time. Nuvation Energy creates battery systems that are being used worldwide to support energy storage with projects such as repurposing used electric vehicle batteries, replacing fossil fuel generators, and implementing cleaner power generation for buildings, industrial facilities, and utilities. If this sounds like an environment where you can thrive, come join us!
The team focuses on designing all aspects of a BESS, including the mechanical, system, and electrical design. This Senior Electrical Designer role will directly contribute to the analysis, design decisions, and implementation of these systems. Additional responsibilities include general engineering leadership, team development, mentorship, and individual growth.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience working with multi-discipline teams, has sound knowledge of electrical engineering practices, and is comfortable in a highly collaborative environment. Proven experience is a must, but so are technical creativity and the ability to learn. In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop diverse technical expertise, keep your career dynamic and exciting, and gain a broad range of skills. If you are looking for constant challenges on a wide variety of design problems, this is the job for you.
This position will require your presence at our Waterloo office.
System Architecture – Identify and define architecture-level solutions that meet the technical and non-technical requirements of the system/product.
Engineering Execution – Actively contributing to the delivery of our engineering services. All levels of technical activity will be involved, ranging from design and development to in-lab system bring-up. This will be your primary activity – creating new systems for Nuvation Energy and our customers. Design efforts include:
Technical Development – Developing your technical skills, knowledge and leadership through a work environment that provides mentoring and open collaboration.
Technical Leadership – Leading, defining, and evolving system development methodologies and resources.
Customer Interaction – Ensuring project success by working directly with team members to provide timely and accurate project updates to clients.
Qualifications & Requirements
- 5+ years of experience in designing AC power distribution for systems/buildings (lighting, outlets, electrical panels, sizing).
- Knowledge of electrical design, materials, and installation methods.
- In-depth knowledge of power system protection.
- Experience working with mechanical models to understand space limitations and interferences.
- 5+ years of experience with generating engineering deliverables such as electrical drawings and other technical documents.
- Experience applying NEC requirements (cable sizing, grounding, fusing, etc.)
- Highly experienced using SolidWorks Electrical, AutoCAD, or similar drafting tool.
- Highly experienced in engineering processes and methodologies.
- Experience working with stakeholders and customers to determine technical requirements and engineering implementation needs.
- Ability to identify complex problems, review related information to develop and evaluate options, and implement solutions.
- Skilled in performing design activities to meet applicable safety standards and relevant codes of practise.
- Excellent communication and technical writing skills.
- Able to communicate professionally and positively with customers and vendors.
- University degree or College Diploma in Electrical/Electronics engineering or equivalent experience.
Other Beneficial Qualifications
- Experience with high voltage DC systems.
- Understanding of battery cells, modules and/or packs (SOC, SOH, DOD life cycle etc.).
- Experience using lab equipment including multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, insulation meters, and hi-pot testers.
- Knowledge and application experience of certifications and standards such as:
- Electrical safety, EMC/EMI, UL / CE, CSA
- Knowledge of three-phase power electronics fundamentals.
- Electrical safety systems knowledge and design experience.
General Skills & Characteristics to be Successful at Nuvation
All Nuvation employees require a common set of general skills & characteristics – your capability in these areas will enable you to be successful at Nuvation. We take these skills and characteristics seriously – being a Nuvation employee requires more than just experience and role-specific skills.
- You want to learn, and you do so quickly
- You are proficient at estimation and critical thinking
- You are organized, independent, and self-managing
- You have strong written and verbal communication
- You desire to work and collaborate with people and teams – you make your colleagues better, and you grow from their contributions
- You focus on results and with quality
- You are passionate and creative – with a willingness to go beyond the normal
- You are hands-on and practical
Who is Nuvation Energy?
Nuvation Energy and Nuvation Engineering are two brands under Nuvation Research Corporation, which was founded in 1997. Our head office is in Silicon Valley, California, and our research and development team is located in a 30,000 square foot facility in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Nuvation Energy is proud to be recognized as a part of Waterloo Region’s Clean Economy Ecosystem. Learn more about us.