Senior Backend Developer
We ❤️ technology. Thoughtful and rigorous product development makes us giddy. That’s why when it comes to software development, everybody plays in the orchestra. We’ve got a fast moving team of engineers led by our Head of Engineering who’s spent over a decade building technology at both Fortune 500 companies and startups. You’ll also benefit from our incredible advisors and experienced management team, who have helped create and scale companies like Square, McKinsey, Google, Frank and Oak, Strava, Instacart, Prodigy, Oportun, Wealthsimple, eBay and more.
As a Senior Software Engineer - Backend you'll build and scale a best-in-class banking experience as part of a development team focused on new 0 to 1 products including credit card and multi-user banking. You may wear many hats, sometimes acting as technical subject matter expert, mentor, or project lead.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Delivering high quality code for features on the product roadmap, using GraphQL, Typescript, NodeJS, and AWS Lambdas, DynamoDB
- Architecting efficient solutions that follow best practices for secure, distributed systems
- Partnering with Product and other engineers to translate product requirements into technical implementation plans
- Integrating with 3rd party libraries, partner APIs, or SDKs, with attention to pragmatism and maintainability
- Improving quality of existing backend codebases by identifying and breaking down areas of technical debt
- Growing into a subject matter expert for at least one domain within the NorthOne product
Today you might be a Senior Backend Developer, Full Stack Developer, Technical Lead or the equivalent in your company...or something that we haven’t heard of yet - we keep an open mind. The most important characteristic for a Senior Software Engineer joining our team is your attitude. We want you to join because you don't see roadblocks, you see opportunities to be at your best. You know that somehow, you and the rest of our team can figure anything out.
The skills required for this role:
- 5+ years of experience building web products using modern programming languages and frameworks, including Typescript, NodeJS
- 3+ yrs of experience building and maintaining GraphQL APIs in production
- You have experience building with AWS in production (ie. Lambda, DynamoDB, EventBridge, Redshift, IAM)
- You have a solid understanding of API protocols and best practices
- You get excited working with complex and secure architectures (distributed, stateless)
- You enjoy experimentation while working quickly, using data to make decisions, and iterating to continuously improve.
- You’re a strong communicator and collaborator who knows how to connect the dots between departments and stakeholders.
- You have experience working on an Agile scrum team with Atlassian products (Jira, Confluence, etc).
- Experience working with an event driven architecture
- You have built products at scale in a SaaS, Payments, or FinTech industry
- You love developing junior and mid level developers into world class senior devs
- You have a strong interest in fintech, finance or entrepreneurship
Our Tech Stack 💻-
- Client-side: TypeScript, ReactJS, React Native, CSS, HTML5
- Server-side: TypeScript, NodeJS, Lambda, DynamoDB, SQS, Kinesis, ElasticSearch, Redshift, other AWS serverless tools
- Tools: Slack, Bitbucket, AWS, CircleCI, Kibana, Jira, Serverless framework, Terraform, Sentry
- Integrations: Intercom, Segment, Mandrill, Stripe
Our mission is big and audacious, but we're assembling a team to take the challenge head on.
As a Senior Software Engineer you'll be joining a team that prioritizes:
- People: Our company is more than just a business. We’re a tight-knit team supporting each other on our mission to rebuild business banking. We’re really serious about mission, fit, and the people we work with. You’ll be part of a rapidly scaling team that reflects these values and keeps this place special.
- Diversity: You'll find yourself in an environment that values diversity and inclusivity. We believe that a broad array of lived experiences and backgrounds are essential for creating the best possible product and company culture.
- Leadership: You’re right in the thick of it, making critical decisions that will clear our path forward.
- Top-tier health/dental benefits: We care about the people we work with and put their health first. NorthOne is proud to offer inclusive health and dental coverage.
- Flexible working hours: We don't clock in and out at set times. You know when you do your best work. We celebrate accomplishments, not how many hours are spent at the office.
- Unlimited paid time off: We hire talented people and know that they need time off to be at their best. Take as much time off as you need to recharge and make sure you’re working sustainably.
- The latest computer equipment: We make sure you have the best equipment so you can produce great work.
- Professional development budget: We support lifelong learners by covering the cost of classes, workshops and conferences. You'll also get access to our ever-growing library of industry-related books.
- Remote and in person get-togethers: Bond with your teammates over shared interests at regular get-togethers. Find like-minded people who are passionate about everything from sport and music to gaming and cooking.
- Remote-friendly environment: Flexibility to work from home, office, or both! We support our teammates wherever they prefer to work.
Market range for this role at NorthOne is 140K-200K. This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy.