Software Engineer - Canada Wide - Remote
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2023
Say hello to Newton — Canada's first low-cost cryptocurrency trading platform. We see a future where financial systems are open to everyone and built to empower people to embrace financial freedom. We believe cryptocurrency plays a role in that future, so we're making it more accessible to Canadians.
Newton team members are spread out across Canada within a fully-remote capacity.
At Newton, all of our engineers are software engineers. We hold everyone to the same high standard, regardless of their area of expertise or the team they work with.
As part of our commitment to continuous learning, we don’t define strict roles that people must fall in to. Nor do we think that an engineer’s ability can be measured solely by degrees, fancy titles, or even years of experience. Likewise, we understand that languages and frameworks are just tools rather than a core part of a person’s identity. We care more about passion, adaptability, and curiosity. As long as those qualities are present, the rest can be learned.
All engineers at Newton should be comfortable working within two or three different specialties. For example, you might be primarily a backend engineer but you’re comfortable working with React as well. Being a specialist doesn’t mean being pigeon-holed though! We encourage all of our engineers to build up experience across multiple specialties.
We make sure that engineers are able to set aside 10-20% of their time each week for training programs and that everyone gets regular opportunities to work on projects outside their area of expertise. We also run quarterly week-long hackathons where engineers can tinker and experiment with new ideas.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term.
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with others.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
- Thrives in a fast-paced organization, preferably a software startup.
- Experience working on a consumer-facing product.
- Familiarity with and a passion for cryptocurrencies, web3, or finance.
- Experience working with a diverse, geographically-distributed team
- Post-secondary education in software engineering, computer science, economics, mathematics, statistics, or any related discipline.
- Frontend: React and React Native, Figma, Storybook, Maestro, Rainforest
- Backend: Go, NodeJS, Python (Django), K8S/ECS, AWS Lambda, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Redis
- Data Science & Engineering: Databricks, Kinesis/Kafka, Apache Spark, Python
- Security & Reliability: DataDog, running incident response and post-mortems, Go, NodeJS, Python, AWS,
- Developer Platform: AWS, Azure, advanced networking, Kubernetes, Backstage, DataDog, GitHub Actions, ArgoCD
- Fraud & FinOps: Work with fraud analysts and finance operations people to prevent fraudsters from taking advantage of our customers and make the platform inhospitable to money-launderers.
- Ramps: Moving fiat and crypto onto and off the platform is arguably the most important feature of a crypto exchange. The Ramps team is proud to have built one of the slickest and fastest funding/withdrawals engine in the world. They are always working to improve the experience for experience traders and people new to crypto alike.
- Trading: The heart of any crypto exchange is trading. This small team has developed an in-house order engine that delivers market data to our customers in real-time while also ensuring that they always get the best possible price on every order.
- Customer Profile & Dashboard: Our customers have come to expect a slick, easy-to-use, and performant system which stitches together their portfolios, market analytics, and even news. While all teams handle some aspect of the customer-facing applications, CPD leads the way and sets a high bar.
- Data Science & Engineering: The world is currently captivated with AI. Our Data team develops machine learning algorithms and data pipelines to build features for our customers, internal analytics dashboards, and underpins the reporting that customers, the company, and our regulators depend on every day.
- Security & IT: Security is paramount in any business, but it is especially critical for crypto platforms. All crypto companies are routinely targeted by state-sponsored attackers and highly sophisticated thieves. S&IT engineers exercise a deep understanding of both appsec, human security, networking, and risk management to prevent targeted as well as accidental breaches. They work closely with independent pentesters and vendors to ensure everything we do is done safely without bogging down development or the customer experience.
At Newton, we celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out!