Vice President, Risk & Compliance
Come Build a Better Financial Future for all Canadians
At Neo, we’re building a more rewarding financial experience for all Canadians.
Life at a rapidly expanding tech startup is demanding, exhilarating, and not for everyone.
From world-class creative minds to brilliant engineers, it's high-performing people that make Neo a workplace with passion and purpose.
Since being founded in 2019, Neo has built incredible traction and is one of the fastest growing fintechs in Canada.
- LinkedIn’s Top Startup in Canada for 2022 and 2023
- Top-ranked mobile apps and credit cards
- Canada’s top-rated credit card
- Team of 700+ people
- 1M+ customers in 3 years
- 11K+ retail partners
High Performance at Neo
We recruit, hire, and build our company culture around these attributes:
Teamwork: We trust, respect, encourage, and show up for each other — through good times and hard. We’re on this mission not just for ourselves, but also for the people we work with — and ultimately, for our customers.
Ownership: We all have a stake in Neo’s success — so we go out of our way to do what needs to get done. We hold ourselves accountable to deliver on our commitments — to our customers, to our partners, and to our team. When we fall short, we find a way to do better in the future.
Professional Integrity: We’re asking millions of Canadians to trust us with their hard-earned money — so we hold ourselves (and each other) to the highest standards of integrity.
Neo is looking for a full-time Vice President, Risk & Compliance to join our team in Calgary. Our Risk & Compliance team navigates through a fast-paced environment and knows how to switch gears to adapt to any scenario. We are looking for a leader who will help shape the strategic direction of Neo by positioning it to continue providing innovative financial products in compliance with all regulatory standards and best practices. Make your mark with transformative products and technologies, alongside some of Canada’s most successful leaders and tech minds.
What you'll be doing
- Providing strategic advice and guidance to all internal business teams, especially senior leadership. This requires being responsible for building, and advocating for, a culture of compliance within the entire organization and ensuring appropriate resources are available to support compliance requirements. This role will work closely with the Financial Crimes, Cybersecurity, Legal and Financial Partners teams at Neo.
- Leading and developing the Risk & Compliance team by providing mentorship, making hiring decisions, implementing appropriate training, and supporting all team members create and implement practical and solution-oriented tools for internal business teams.
- Overseeing the delivery of Neo’s enterprise risk management and compliance program to achieve operational excellence, meet legislative requirements, implement strategic goals and effectively manage compliance outcomes. This includes:
- Designing and maintaining a proactive enterprise risk management program to ensure early identification of risk exposures.
- Leading Neo’s regulatory compliance framework to ensure ongoing compliance that abides by all applicable regulations as well as internal policies and procedures, and is capable of supporting a quickly scaling tech organization.
- Ensuring Neo is well positioned to adapt to the implementation of the Retail Payment Activities Act.
- Representing Neo and building relationships with all key external partners including regulators.
- Leading Neo’s governance, risk and compliance committee.
- Working with other business leaders to develop and implement appropriate controls to manage residual risk within the organization.
- Providing strategic insights, guidance, and decisions on compliance matters to protect Neo, all Neo products and most importantly, customers.
- Working cross-functionally to complete risk assessments and identify/document key control activities for regulatory compliance processes.
- Proactively evaluating internal processes to identify compliance risks and implement appropriate mitigations to address them.
- Building strategic, tactical and operational goals according to timelines and budget.
- Arranging for ongoing independent assessments, reviews or audits of Neo’s compliance programs to ensure best-in-class performance.
Who we are looking for
- You have 10+ years experience in compliance and risk management roles within financial services, including in senior leadership and strategic roles.
- Excellent EQ - you can build relationships internally and externally and establish trust and credibility through excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience dealing with relevant Canadian regulators, including FINTRAC, OSFI, CDIC and FCAC.
- Experience with applicable industry standards including PCI DSS, SOC 2, NIST, CIS, ISO 27001 & OWASP Top Ten, as well as GRC systems is considered an asset.
- Ideally the candidate will have a background in technology, high-growth companies, and fast scaling teams, and/or the financial services industry.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders and relating well to people of all backgrounds and at all levels.
- Proactively seeks to improve processes, raising quality and productivity through efficiencies or by implementing best-in-class solutions.
- You’re passionate about building world-class products with a world-class team.
Working at Neo
Joining Neo means betting on yourself and discovering your full potential. As individuals and as a team, we continually challenge ourselves and each other to do our best work. We’re making change happen at a rapid pace — providing endless opportunities to sharpen your skills, expand your knowledge, and find new solutions to complex problems. That means rapid career progression and constant learning opportunities.
The people who thrive at Neo are resourceful, relentless, and want to win. We hold ourselves to high standards, because we’re on a mission that matters — to transform financial services for the better. If that’s what you’re looking for, read on.
We trust, respect, and show up for each other. That means truthful conversations, frequent feedback, and working with people who push you to be your best. We’re evolving quickly as an organization, we work together in person, and the pace of progress isn’t for everyone. That’s why we’re looking for change-makers who love a challenge — who would rather blaze a trail through uncertainty than travel a well-paved road.
Our team members earn meaningful equity in the company through stock options — so Neo’s growth benefits everyone who helps make it happen. That also means taking on more responsibility than you may have had at your last job. We don’t get hung up on job titles or hierarchy — we’re focused on doing what it takes to accomplish our mission.
Check out these videos from our employees to learn more about Working at Neo.
Apply with Us
We believe in equal opportunity, and are committed to creating an inclusive climate where everyone can thrive. Customers trust us with their finances, so successful candidates for this position will be required to undergo a security screening, including a criminal records check and a credit check.