META is seeking a Nanofabrication Scientist for our facility in Burnaby, British Columbia. You will work within the Photonics Technology team to implement nanofabrication and microfabrication research and development for advanced nano-optic and nanophotonic devices for a variety of applications such as optically variable light field displays, augmented reality displays, diffractive optics, and solar cells. The position is heavily hands-on and requires the ability to attentively follow cleanroom protocols and in-house standard operating procedures. The Nanofabrication Scientist will have the opportunity to contribute to the team’s research by developing new fabrication procedures or improving the previously developed process steps. The position involves detailed execution of successive nano-fabrication processes ranging from wet-chemistry to electron beam lithography.
Some of the typical responsibilities will include:
- Learning and developing micro and nano-fabrication processes while operating in a Class 100 cleanroom environment.
- Conduct experiments to improve, discover, and test nano/microfabrication processes. Resolve technical process issues with innovation and pragmatism, while mitigating delay and process waste.
- Characterizing nanostructures and materials in and out of a cleanroom. Collecting and measuring data and developing characterization models.
- Maintaining and writing rigorous and complete documentation such as standard operating procedures (SOPs). Delivering biweekly or monthly reports on the development progress and the measured data.
- Learn photonics and nanofabrication physics and apply them to rapidly evolving photonic devices with application in disruptive technologies.
- Effectively contribute to early-stage prototyping and intellectual property development.
- A PhD degree in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, or relevant disciplines.
- Must have Minimum 4 years of hands-on experience with electron beam lithography systems, layout engineering, and silicon and metal dry etching techniques from design to implementation.
- In-depth familiarity with thin film deposition, spin coating, wet bench processing, and metrology characterization is required.
- In depth knowledge in one of these areas is required: metamaterials and plasmonics, flat optics, silicon photonics.
- Must have demonstrated publication record in peer-reviewed journals is a must.
- Demonstrated contribution in intellectual property development and track record in patent application drafting.
- Familiarity with nanoimprinting techniques is desirable.
- Familiarity with fast-paced prototyping in cleanroom environment is a plus.
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
What You’ll Love About Us:
META is a fast-growing company with a positive and committed work culture and a phenomenally talented workforce. Our employees are inspired to do exceptional and innovative work, are proud to contribute to the success of the company and are our greatest asset.
META attracts people from many countries and cultures, with over 37 spoken languages represented across our teams. META believes that diversity drives creativity and innovation. We welcome and encourage applications from underrepresented populations; Aboriginal peoples, racialized persons, people living with disabilities (including invisible and episodic disabilities) and members of the LGBTQ2 community.
- META (MMAT) Equity
- Retirement Savings Matching
- Company provided Group Health Insurance (medical, dental, vision).
- Competitive paid time off policy; vacation, paid sick leave; personal days; time off between Christmas day and New Year’s day
- Casual dress
Meta Materials Inc. “META®” (NASDAQ: MMAT) is a developer of high-performance functional materials and intelligent surfaces that are scalable, sustainable, and efficient. Through applied physics and advanced design, we are pioneering a new class of multi-functional materials — called metamaterials — which have engineered properties that Go Beyond what is found in nature. Our extensive technology platform encompasses three core capabilities, holography, lithography, and wireless sensing, and is software and AI-design driven. This allows us to develop a library of solutions and functional prototypes much faster and at lower cost than traditional chemical synthesis.
Our technology platform enables leading global brands to deliver breakthrough products to their customers in consumer electronics, 5G communications, health and wellness, aerospace, automotive, and clean energy. Our nano-optic technology provides anti-counterfeiting security features for government documents and currencies and authentication for brands.
META has worked with some of the world’s leading companies including Airbus, Satair, Lockheed Martin, and Sekisui. META’s Nanotech business recently renewed a frame agreement with a top-ten central bank to develop a new security feature, and has delivered its LumaChrome™ security feature for more than 30 banknote denominations.
At META we make surfaces smarter, more sustainable, and we do more with less. Together with our partners, we go beyond what’s possible today by creating intelligent surfaces that protect, detect and connect.
Our achievements have been widely recognized, including being named a Lux Research Innovator of the Year in 2021. Learn more at www.metamaterial.com