Director, Strategic Sourcing
Mejuri is searching for a Director, Strategic Sourcing to join our Product Supply team! The ideal candidate is an influential leader who is passionate about sustainable supply chains, possesses a deep knowledge of the jewelry industry and thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.Reporting into the Senior Director of Product Supply, this role will be responsible for developing and implementing sourcing processes for all jewelry and raw materials, developing contract/vendor management practices, have active participation in our New Product Development process, and be a key driver of our sustainability mission.
You will establish a strategic, disciplined and integrated procurement function that optimizes new and existing vendor/supplier partnerships to maximize value to the organization while reducing cost. Be responsible for establishing appropriate vendor performance metrics, facilitation of vendor performance evaluation and supplier development programs. Participate in the development of standards for contracts to ensure they align with Mejuri legal strategies and establish a Request for Proposal process for complex high-value items.
What you’ll doBest-in-Class Procurement Strategy, Leadership & Process
- Develop, lead and execute on a long-term supply network strategy in partnership with Supply Chain Planning, Product Development, Sustainability, Technical Excellence (TE) & Quality to support Mejuri’s rapid growth trajectory
- Continuously improve and streamline Procurement processes and tools, including RFP structure, contract management solutions, PLM system and supply chain ERP
- Closely partner with other verticals across the business to drive implementation of integrated strategy and roadmap
- Collaborate with Supply Chain Planning to secure sufficient ongoing manufacturing network capacity
- Use your extensive jewelry purchasing knowledge to drive strategic purchasing decisions that support profitable business growth
- Use your knowledge of Jewelry, Diamonds, Gemstones and semi-finished goods to uncover new opportunities to expand our supplier network
- Demonstrate strong commodity market awareness and ability to predict pricing fluctuations
- Demonstrate exceptional contract negotiation experience to lock in preferred pricing and build relationships with key suppliers.
- Deliver strong solution orientation with the ability to think-out-of-the-box and have a vision for what is possible
- Lead sourcing, evaluation and onboarding of new suppliers (FG and materials)
- Lead the development and implementation of sourcing strategies applicable to purchasing and contracting for Jewelry, Diamonds, Gemstones and components
- Setup robust direct sourcing and directed-buy processes for diamonds, gemstones and semi-finished goods (ie. chains)
- Improve and build a strong supplier base to ensure continuity of supply in alignment with business objectives, values and emerging product needs
- Collaborate with vendors, and internal teams to identify and implement opportunities for supply chain efficiency improvements, quality enhancements, cost reductions, and materials management
- Determine when additional or alternate sources are required, and implement proactive strategies to minimize product flow disruptions
- Determine accurate budget and forecasting and establish pricing models to maintain stability of margins
- Continually seek process or asset improvements to maximize cost savings
- Build and own relationships with internal clients and be responsible for delivery of best-in-class strategic sourcing, contract management, negotiation and supplier management practices
- Manage supplier relationships and performance, ensure supplier compliance with Mejuri Contract terms and conditions
- Performance Monitoring: Monitor and report supplier performance on the basis of predetermined, relevant and measurable KPIs
- Collaborate with Quality to ensure supplier compliance to quality standards and implementation of CAPA’s
- Collaborate with Quality to design and implement a supplier development program
- Collaborate with Sustainability to ensure supplier compliance with Mejuri ESG standards and regulatory requirements
- Collaborate with Sustainability to develop traceable material supply routes with suppliers
- Develop and implement strategies that minimize shortage risks (primary/secondary suppliers, supplier capacities)
- Drive best practices including analytical tools, negotiation preparation methodologies, rigorous RFP mentality and process, and sourcing execution practices
- Work closely with Supply Planning & Product development team to secure materials to coincide with aggressive manufacturing schedules
- Establish standards for and drive improvements in purchasing data management, drive spend analysis to better understand actual vs. forecasted savings, and develop supplier management/scorecards and performance reporting processes
- Oversee all spend details with regular reporting to the VP Finance and Controller ensuring total costs are closely managed through reductions, stability in price agreements, and continuous improvements
- Keep informed of technology offerings and market trends that facilitate the purchasing of indirect goods/services both domestically and globally to reduce the total cost of ownership
- Be the subject matter expert in all things related to procurement and strategic sourcing
- Provide leadership, mentoring & coaching to direct reports ensuring development of a high performance-oriented team. Coach team members to achieve performance development plans. Supports self and team growth by identifying stretch goal opportunities. Plans and executes team development programs.
- Identifies gaps in the team’s knowledge, initiates strategies to fill them, and keeps teams abreast of new methodologies, tools and technologies, providing suggestions.
- Analyzes Mejuri's strategic priorities and business structure to develop team goals, personal role and the capacity of their team
- Holds direct reports accountable to OKRs, KPIs and performance expectations. Coaches direct reports supportively and knows when to get in the weeds to help.
- 10+ years relevant procurement experience with a focus on jewelry purchasing
- Extensive knowledge in Global Jewelry Sourcing, Sustainability & Supply Chain Management
- Experience with RJC, Kimberly process, GIA and other Jewelry related standards
- Experience with RFP/RFI/RFQ processes, supplier negotiations and contracting
- Strong leadership experience and team-building abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional partners across all levels of the organization
- Motivated, self-starting individual & strategic thinker. Must be hands on and enjoy working in a highly creative and entrepreneurial environment
- Strong project management skills, detail oriented and ability to deliver results
Things we consider an asset:
- Procurement certification
- Graduate Gemologist (GIA) designation
Key Performance Indicators:
- Product Margin
- Supply Chain reliability
- Supply chain responsiveness
- A minimum of three weeks vacation, plus personal days and three religious observance days.
- A hybrid work model for all corporate roles.
- ‘Mejuri Passport’ which allows employees who meet specific criteria to work in other locations for one month per year.
- Comprehensive medical and dental benefits, including mental health coverage, and generous personal and sick days for our full-time employees. We also offer bereavement leave, including miscarriage and stillbirth support.
- Parental leave salary top-up of up to 80%, as well as a personalized return-to-work transition and accommodation plan for full-time employees.
- Semi-annual performance reviews.
- Internal coaching department and learning and development to support career growth and plans for everyone.
- A generous product discount!
Along with our central mission and vision, we have guiding values that set the tone for where we’re heading and how we work together. These values are behaviors that form our shared beliefs and approach to how we wish to work together at Mejuri, regardless of role, level, and work location. Our 8 core values help drive our decision making when we are cross collaborating, redefining luxury, and creating a sense of commitment and inclusion to help shape our company culture.
Our values are:
FIND A WAY | We break down problems into manageable steps, explore creative solutions daily, learn from failure, and adapt quickly
RAISE THE BAR | We share constructive feedback openly, continuously improve personal and team performance, collaborate and challenge for better outcomes
CUSTOMER OBSESSED | We actively listen to customer feedback, make decisions that impact customers positively, continuously refine product, service, or customer interactions
EMPOWERED OWNERS | We proactively address cross team challenges, willingly tackle any task big or small, take initiative, and lead by example
JUST DO IT | We make informed decision quickly, encourage experimentation and learning, encourage thoughtful risk taking, embrace change, and stay adaptable
HUMILITY | We acknowledge team contributions before self, acknowledge and learn from mistakes, maintain an open and receptive mindset, and promote a respectful work environment
CURIOSITY | We seek out new challenges daily, ask questions to understand deeply, reimagine and innovate to drive progress
DRIVE RESULTS | set clear goals and prioritize tasks, focus on high impact activities daily, monitor progress through clear metrics, stay persistent and solution orientated