The internet is broken. Ads don't monetize well and incentivize selling other products and services rather than one’s own content and experiences. Subscriptions and large up-front purchases are a huge commitment barrier and don’t work for most.
Fortunately, things are changing. With Bitcoin and the Lightning Network, we now have sound, scalable, trust-minimized, programmable money that can be sent around the world instantly. With this new technology, we now have the ability to enable new, fun and interactive experiences that reward everyone. Mash is building these products to enable a new era online – one with an abundance of quality, trusted, accessible and engaging experiences. We're building the monetization & engagements platform to remonetize the internet, enabling publishers, creators and online media to implement completely new monetization models.
Mash has 3+ years of runway, having raised US$6M from top VCs and angels in 2022 and being deliberate with how we’ve grown the team. The round was co-led by Whitecap Venture Partners and Castle Island Ventures, with participation from Maple VC, Strategic Cyber Ventures, Aquanow, Spacecadet Ventures, and angel investors including Amjad Masad, Balaji Srinivasan, Austin Hill, and John Pfeffer.
We’re a dynamic team with experience at start-ups, scale-ups, and big tech including Google, Amazon, Barstool Sports, Anchor, Spotify, and Lazer. We don't use any seniority titles, and plan not to for as long as feasibly possible (learn more why). Mash is a remote-first company with much of the team currently based in the Eastern Time Zone, while accommodating each other to work wherever we are in the world.
Examples of problems we’re tackling
- Building a scalable payments platform for the web with Bitcoin and the Lightning Network.
- Enabling diverse monetized experiences across the web for content such as mini-apps, games, tools, articles, video streaming, audio, and more.
- Providing on-site experiences for users to interact with content and each other that works anywhere on the web in a performant way.
- Creating a digital wallet with Bitcoin and Lightning that is persistent and can be embedded across the web – e.g., websites, mobile apps, etc.
Includes TypeScript, React, Go, PostgreSQL, Terraform, Docker, and LND.
Role & responsibilities
- Build, ship, and maintain features and infrastructure.
- Participate in system architecture and technical design. Work closely with a cross-functional team (product, design, engineering).
- Discover and understand user needs.
- Identify opportunities for innovation.
- Develop a deep technical understanding of Bitcoin and Lightning, and collaborate with the community to further advance Bitcoin/Lightning tech.
Desired skill set
- 4+ years of experience in at-scale software development.
- A track record of building amazing user experiences.
- Skilled in 1 or more system programming language, such as Go, Java, C++, or C#.
- Experience with relational databases (such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, etc.).
- Experience with cloud providers (such as Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, etc.).
- Bonus: Past start up experience, experience with distributed systems, and/or knowledge/interest in Bitcoin and the Lightning Network.
We’re looking for an individual who:
- Responds well to open-ended problems and thrives on autonomy – is a self-starter and problem solver.
- Thrives in team environments – is focused on team goals.
- Has great communication skills.
- Has a passion for lifelong learning.
How we work
We treat your time as the scarce asset that it is. We respect people being heads down and having the time to get into a flow. Distractions and context switching are things we work to minimize. We have meetings for specific purposes – and leverage async channels as much as appropriate. This allows us to maintain a high-velocity with the right level of collaboration.
Mash has an open and direct culture. We believe that not making a decision is a decision – and a terrible one. We have strong conviction and take action. We use data to make decisions. We believe that observing clients use our products and hearing directly from them is priceless. We can agree to disagree and move forward after reviewing the details. As we learn, we will re-evaluate, iterate and push forward. We are dedicated to our mission.
Mash is a remote-first company. We are doing this deliberately to assemble the best team possible and enable you to work where it fits best into your life.
How to apply
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org – and include a bit about yourself, your resume, and three bullet points about why you are specifically interested in Mash's mission.