Analyst, Real Estate Debt
Waterloo, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
Who is MarshallZehr?
MarshallZehr Group Inc. (“MZ”) provides customized construction and development financial solutions for high-performing real estate developers. Since 2008, MarshallZehr has grown to become one of Canada’s most trusted real estate capital partners. We add value beyond capital – our team’s decades of experience help deliver the strategic insight and vision necessary to craft tailored financial solutions, all backed by our industry recognized mortgage administration services.
The Analyst, Real Estate Debt (the “Analyst”) will perform due diligence and credit analysis of current and prospective clients to support the team in making recommendations on lending decisions. The Analyst will be responsible for screening investment opportunities, evaluating and underwriting potential transactions, coordinating and performing due diligence, and advising Senior Management on lending decisions. The Analyst will also be responsible for conducting industry and transaction-specific research, to support presentations and meetings with institutional and corporate clients.
· Conduct comprehensive underwriting of new lending transactions through the review of project pro formas, third-party reports, borrower/guarantor ﬁnancial statements, and lease/purchase and sale documents.
· Assist with the creation of sophisticated cash ﬂow models used to assess the ﬁnancial capacity and operational feasibility of construction projects (e.g. developing assumptions, coverage calculations, paydown waterfalls, IRR calculations).
· Assist with the preparation of offering memorandums and other presentation material for prospective lenders.
· Assist the Business Development team with canvasing, qualifying, and onboarding potential lending and borrowing clients.
· Adhere to commercial lending processes, policies and procedures, legal and ethical requirements and regulations, and established risk guidelines.
· Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders through the closing & post-closing process.
· Ad hoc reports and other activities as assigned.
What are we looking for?
· An undergraduate degree or higher in ﬁnance, economics, accounting, real estate, or a related ﬁeld, and a proven record of outstanding academic achievement.
· 2-4 years of experience in commercial real estate investments, investment banking, or related ﬁnancial analyst or capital markets roles.
· Excellent knowledge of ﬁnance and ﬁnancial modeling concepts as applied to real estate development and project ﬁnancing.
· Advanced proﬁciency in Microsoft Oﬃce, especially Excel.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines while maintaining a high standard of work with very strong attention to detail.
· Proven ability to work well both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
· Professional designation (CFA, CPA), or progression towards one, considered an asset.
· MZ oﬃces are open Monday to Friday and employees are expected to work on site a minimum of 4 days per week, with the option of working remotely 1 day per week, as agreed to by the direct supervisor.
· Our Waterloo oﬃce has 16,000 square feet of modern and accessible space and has been specially updated and tailored to meet our business needs. The result is a world-class workspace that empowers deep collaboration, reinforces business operations with state- of-the-art technology infrastructure, and offers more space to enable our sustained team expansion.
Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code. MarshallZehr is committed to complying with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) to provide an inclusive, barrier free workplace. We will accommodate the accessibility needs of individuals with disabilities to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process. Should you require this accommodation, please contact email@example.com.