Senior Software Engineer - Platform
Waterloo, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2023
Who We Are; What We Do; Where we’re Going
Magnet Forensics is a global leader in the development of digital investigative software that acquires, analyzes, and shares evidence from computers, smartphones, tablets and other IoT related devices. We are continually innovating so that our customers can deploy advanced and effective tools to protect their companies, communities, and countries.
Earlier this year, we shared the exciting news that Grayshift and Magnet Forensics have come together as one organization to accelerate innovation and transform digital investigations for our customers. We’re pleased to share that the combined organization is operating as Magnet Forensics.
The combination of mobile, cloud and computer forensics expertise under the Magnet Forensics name underscores our dedication to providing comprehensive, end-to-end DFIR solutions. This includes our commitment to helping with access to modern digital devices lawfully with our renowned product suite. And, our focus on innovating for the DIFR community, along with our shared mission, continues to be the top priority.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the platform team, you will be a part of the driving force that provides the base Linux OS platform and services for the flagship product – The GrayKey. You will help shape how the platform and other engineering teams grow and scale up to a more robust and efficient build and delivery cycle through use of CI/CD. You will be a part of the team that drives best practices with Python and influence the direction of Python development and deployment throughoutEngineering. Most importantly you will be a part of the team that lays the foundation for a product that literally saves lives.
- Analyze requirements, break down tasks and estimate effort;
- Design robust, performant and secure solutions;
- Develop efficient, modular and maintainable software solutions;
- Participate in code reviews;
- Troubleshoot, debug and fix software defects;
- Take initiative, build strong teams and communicate effectively;
- Guide best practices for building, delivering and maintaining multiple source code projects.
- 7+ years of experience on Linux systems development;
- 5+ years of experience with Python;
- Expert level experience in Python, Python debugging, profiling, etc;
- Strong understanding of Python internals, libraries (Flask, Django, etc.);
- Proficiency in Linux shell scripting (create, debug, maintain, etc.);
- Proficiency using Git/GitHub/GitLab;
- Proficiency with Linux system and bootloader;
- Proficiency in creating Debian Linux packages;
- Proficiency with cryptography concepts and programming;
- Proficiency with computer networking protocols and programming;
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent field.
- Experience with Docker containers;
- Experience with virtual images (Virtual Box, KVM, QEMU, etc.);
- Experience with iMX6 and/or iMX8 ARM based system on modules;
- Proficiency maintaining, patching and building the Linux kernel;
- Proficiency with C/C++;
- Low-level experience developing endpoint protection products;
- Forensic background
The Most Important Thing
- We’re looking for candidates that can provide examples of how they have demonstrated Magnet InteGRITy in their previous experiences:
- Greater Good – We think beyond our own interests and strive to improve communities around the world. This demonstrates our passion for making a difference in the world.
- Respect – We hold ourselves accountable through transparent sharing of information and we have faith in each other’s abilities
- Innovation – We lead the industry in excellence and reliability while keeping the user experience simple and relevant. We are not afraid to push the boundaries to stay ahead of our competitors.
- Teamwork – We collaborate internally and externally, while caring about each other and listening to our customers.
We’re committed to continuous learning and are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. This commitment will be reflected in our hiring processes and embedded in our values and how we treat one another. If you’re interested in this role, but do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply anyways.
Magnet Forensics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, provincial, or local law.