Director of Accounting
Maerospace supplies government customers with complex radar systems comprising two major subsystems (Electronics and Antennas) on a turnkey basis including extensive field installation and test work as well as extensive customer interactions. Projects are generally more than 1 year in duration and include more than one system per customer. Our target customers are navies and coast guards around the world to help them combat illegal fishing, piracy, and national security threats. The company is currently procuring and building its first radar system to be completed in Q3 2022. Maerospace is a rapidly expanding company with employees in Waterloo, Newfoundland, the UK, and the USA.
The company expects to have multiple systems in its production backlog in mid-2022. The company conducts assembly and inventory operations in Waterloo Ontario and St. John’s Newfoundland.
Maerospace is working with custom-developed processes and tools (Excel, MS Project, Teams). The company is in the process of migrating to a new ERP system in 2022.
The Director of Accounting will work closely with the CFO to lead and grow the finance and accounting function. The position has extensive hands on requirements plus responsibility for shaping the future.
This position offers excellent growth opportunities and learned experience potential ideal for advancing the career of a skilled professional accountant. Compensation includes a competitive salary+ bonus, stock options and full benefits package.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Work closely with the CFO to share responsibility and direction for all financial and accounting issues
· Assume responsibility for the accounting function, currently managed with QuickBooks
· Provide key leadership for the 2022 transition to and implementation of a pending state of the art cloud based ERP system
· Provide financial analysis, support, and analysis to management in support of major business decisions
· Provide key involvement for our M&A activity
· Provide documentation and analysis as required in support of our external auditors and tax advisors, Ernst & Young
· Provide leadership with the development of financial and corporate wide policies
· Develop monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, reporting and related analyses to the leadership team and investor group.
· Maintain financial forecast models
· Collaborate with other functional areas, notably Procurement, HR and Engineering, to enhance financial and internal management reporting tools and processes.
· Support ongoing continuous process improvement initiatives
· Manage future staff members, playing a key role in their hiring
Preferred Skills and Experience:
· CPA or equivalent experience
· 7+ years of experience in finance/accounting with a strong record of career progression and demonstrated results
· Demonstration of being results driven with obvious people and communication skills
· Advanced computer and software skills, notably Excel, financial modelling and other Microsoft based softwares
· Experience with an ERP system
· Strong understanding of accounting and compliance requirements, including IFRS, and current reporting standards