Financial Education Podcast Producer
Accounting & Finance
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2023
We’re LumiQ – an audio-first professional education platform for CPAs. We help CPAs get their continuing professional development (CPD) hours through engaging podcasts with business leaders (the CFOs of Slack, Shopify, Yelp, Yahoo!, TD Bank, and Wealthsimple just to name a few). CPD/CPE is the yearly required learning that CPAs generally dread doing. They’re tired of dealing with boring webinars, irrelevant content and product experiences that are out-of-date. That’s why they’ve flocked to LumiQ and our mission to make professional learning enjoyable.
With hundreds of companies signed up, we’re at the precipice of launching a global movement that’s going to massively change the professional education and podcasting industries. Following our recent Series A, we’ve expanded into the US market and are seeing wonderful early signs of traction.
Despite our lightning growth, we tend not to subscribe to the mantra of “move fast and break things.” Our goal is to build a profitable company, where our employees can learn and grow, and where customers see real value and genuinely enjoy using the product. We are building a company meant to last, and if this resonates with you, we hope you will consider joining us on our journey to transform professional education!
We are looking for a Financial Education Podcast Producer to help us disrupt the professional education industry and create some of the world’s best CPD content!
If you have a background in accounting or finance but have realized a traditional career path isn’t for you, we want to meet you! This role is a unique opportunity to blend your financial background with creativity and passion for perpetual learning. In this role, you will work closely with our content team to create innovative and engaging CPD podcasts. From interviewing top business leaders to telling interesting stories about financial frauds, scams, and scandals, you will work on a variety of content, learning how to host, how to produce, and how to edit audio at the same time (don’t worry --no prior experience is necessary).
What You'll Be Responsible For
- At a high level, your role is about producing podcasts from pitch to post. This means you’ll come up with the ideas, find the right guests, create episode outlines, host, and do a first edit of your episode.
- Research and pitching: You will research and pitch finance and economics-focused topics that are interesting, fit in with our content roadmap, and have strong learning outcomes. This part of production requires you to be able to absorb and synthesize a large amount of information quickly and succinctly.
- Guest sourcing: You will need to find the best and the brightest guests to tell their stories, educate our audience, and share their areas of expertise. To be great at sourcing you will need to be scrappy, determined, and comfortable doing cold reach out.
- Outlining: It will be up to you to decide how to structure the episode, as it is a fine balance of providing the right context, keeping the topic interesting, and ensuring the narrative flows in a logical way. Strong writing skills are imperative to be successful at outlining an episode.
- Hosting interviews: This is where all of your pre-production work gets to shine! You will need to balance asking interesting questions, keeping the guest on track, all while ensuring a high-quality audio recording. The most successful hosts have a strong mixture of critical thinking, ability to roll with the punches, and feel comfortable pushing back on guests where appropriate.
- Editing audio for content. This includes editing the structure of an episode, cutting out redundancies, and ensuring clarity. We use a program that makes it easy to cut and move audio—no formal audio production experience required!
- Scripted and narrative episodes: You will collaborate with teammates working on scripted content by providing research and the more technical financial information they need to ensure the episode isn’t just entertaining, but also educational. These projects tend to be larger and more intensive than standard interview episodes and are a great opportunity to flex your creative muscles!
Who You Are
- You have a background in finance: You feel confident in your ability to break down and communicate complex financial and business concepts in a way the LumiQ audience of CPAs and other financial professionals understand and find engaging. A financial designation is highly recommended, but not required.
- You’re a strong researcher: We cover a broad range of finance and economics-focused topics, and each episode requires a lot of research. Even if you aren’t an expert in something, you’re someone who can dig into existing thought leadership to find key learnings and make them relevant to our CPA audience.
- You have a passion for storytelling: Our episodes strive to seamlessly blend narrative with organic discussions to create a unique and enjoyable learning experience. You’re able to research and script a story that can be naturally woven with guest interviews to create a high-impact episode.
- You’re a natural conversationalist: While prior hosting experience is not required, we're looking for someone enthusiastic about learning the art of hosting. You'll be responsible for guiding episodes, ensuring engaging conversations, and maintaining top-notch audio quality. Your curiosity and ability to ask thought-provoking questions will be essential in creating engaging podcasts for our audience.
- You are passionate about learning: You consider yourself a lifelong learner and are naturally curious. You like to deeply understand the mechanics of a variety of topics such as how different businesses and industries work.
- You can work in a little bit of ambiguity: The fun part about start-ups is that you get to build the plane yourself, while flying it! What this translates to is lots of experimentation, pivoting and testing assumptions. We are not a highly structured environment, and every day may look a little different. The right fit for this roll is excited and sees opportunity in the ambiguity and enjoys the flexibility it provides.
If you think your experience is most of the way there we’d still love to meet you!
This is a flexible hybrid role based out of Toronto, Canada. Employees will be expected to be able to commute to the office for some team and company-based activities.
Benefits and Perks
Nomad Policy: Work from anywhere in the world for up to 4 weeks per year.
Hybrid Work Style: The best of both worlds. Enjoy remote work and a downtown Toronto office with snacks, events, and ping pong.
Time Off to Recharge: Great vacation day offerings as well as uncapped sick and mental health days.
Health Benefits: Medical, dental, and health spending account.
Monthly Social Events: Connect with your colleagues during baseball games, taco bars, escape rooms, and more.
Flexibility: We don't mind if you need to run to a mid-day appointment or pick up your kid early from school.
Endless Learning: Our platform isn't just for accountants. Listen to podcasts on soft skills, career development, leadership, and more.
LumiQ Clubs: Join an existing club or start your own.