Marketing & Communications
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2023
We’re LumiQ – an audio-first professional education platform for CPAs. We help CPAs get their continuing professional development (CPD) hours through engaging podcasts with business leaders (the CFOs of Slack, Shopify, Yelp, Yahoo!, TD Bank, and Wealthsimple just to name a few). CPD/CPE is the yearly required learning that CPAs generally dread doing. They’re tired of dealing with boring webinars, irrelevant content and product experiences that are out-of-date. That’s why they’ve flocked to LumiQ and our mission to make professional learning enjoyable.
With hundreds of companies signed up, we’re at the precipice of launching a global movement that’s going to massively change the professional education and podcasting industries. Following our recent Series A, we’ve expanded into the US market and are seeing wonderful early signs of traction.
Despite our lightning growth, we tend not to subscribe to the mantra of “move fast and break things.” Our goal is to build a profitable company, where our employees can learn and grow, and where customers see real value and genuinely enjoy using the product. We are building a company meant to last, and if this resonates with you, we hope you will consider joining us on our journey to transform professional education!
What You'll Be Responsible For:
- Like any startup, you will have the opportunity to wear many hats, but the major focus of this role will be on creating copy for each episode, striking the right balance of clear language, and engaging writing with Canadian and US market requirements
- Writing copy and assessment quizzes for 9-12 episodes per week. This requires listening to a rough draft of a 45-60 minute episode and crafting titles and descriptions, well-thought-out learning objectives, glossary terms, review questions, and final assessment questions
- Supporting marketing with LinkedIn posts, engagement emails, and push notifications for episodes
- Depending on episodes in production, you may be called upon to help with researching and scripting. This can be anything from taking complex technical topics and updates and weaving them into a story, working with a producer to find archival tape and quotes, or fact-checking scripts developed with producers
Who You Are
- You have a background in finance, business, education, or journalism: You have experience communicating with and creating content for a sophisticated and financially literate audience.
- You are a strong writer, with a proven track record of writing about complex business/finance topics in a clear and concise manner: An ideal candidate can balance the creativity of the copy with the ability to distill complex topics simply while maintaining an educational lens. We will expect to see a portfolio of relevant work.
- You are passionate about education: Continuing education is stuck in the 1990s, and our mission is to make it convenient, practical, and even (dare we say) enjoyable! You are excited about being a part of disrupting that industry and are passionate about the potential of podcasts as an educational tool. You’re also someone who genuinely enjoys learning new things.
- You (ideally) have some experience in research and scriptwriting: As we produce more scripted content we will need this role to pitch in on scriptwriting, researching, and weaving technical accounting learnings into creative scripts.
- You are a critical thinker: You are especially good at zooming out, and asking “Does what I’m doing make sense?” (This is one of our values, so we will be sure to ask for examples!)
- You care about culture: You want to work somewhere that encourages and rewards pride and ownership of your work, thinking outside the box, and the ability to experiment and try new things.
If you think your experience is most of the way there we’d still love to meet you!
Please note this is a flexible hybrid role based out of Toronto, Canada. Employees will be expected to be able to commute to the office for some team and company-based activities.
Benefits and Perks
● Health Benefits after 3 months with us, including a yearly health spend account
● Access to an Employee Assistance Program if needed
● Monthly team social events (Super Smash Bro party, hot chocolate bar, Blue Jays game, Hot Ones Challenge are just a few examples of what we have done in the past)
● Schedule flexibility. We know our employees have lives outside of work and don’t mind if you need to run to a mid-day doctor's appointment or pick up a kid early from school!
● Nomad policy: Work remotely 4 weeks of the year from anywhere in the world
● Office space at one of Canada’s most well-regarded startup accelerators—OneEleven (Front and John Street) which includes ping pong and foosball tables, monthly learning events, and a great opportunity to grow your personal and professional network with dozens of other startup folks in the space
● The chance to work with the world-class investors behind us, including Jean Desgagne, former CEO of GES at the TMX, Joel Lessem, Founder & CEO of Firmex, Neil Wainright, Founder and CEO of Nexonia, and Dennis Bennie, one of the Founding members of the Creative Destruction Lab.
See more open positions at LumiQ
Something looks off?