Director, Product Design and Research
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
Loopio is a workplace that unleashes learning & growth opportunities for our Loopers. We provide autonomous, challenging work that allows each employee to master their craft. We attract and retain people who are naturally curious, have grit and are eager to grow and build their careers. At Loopio, we genuinely support each other, because true success comes from working as #oneteam.
We’re looking for a Director, Product Design and Research to join the Loopio team. Working in an agile, global product team, you will lead researchers and product designers, providing guidance, mentorship and support, ensuring the team's success in creating an impactful product experience. A strategic thinker, you’ll apply design attention to the big outcomes, setting OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) to help the Engineering, Product, Research and Design teams understand their impact on business outcomes. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of leading cross-functional teams, conducting user research, and translating insights into iterative end-to-end solutions.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Inspiring and Mentoring: Elevate our Research & Product Design team through mentorship, support, and fostering professional growth.
- Design Strategy: Define and execute the long-term Research & Product Design strategy, in alignment with product and company goals.
- Strong Collaboration: Forge strong cross-functional partnerships across Product Management, Software Development, Sales, Customer Experience and Marketing teams to bring solutions to market.
- Voice of Product Design: Amplify the significance of Research & Product Design across the entire organization, promoting the value of user-centric design on business success
- User Advocacy: Advocate for user needs and perspectives to drive intuitive end-to-end solutions that solve the root of customer pain points.
- Effective Communication: Foster open communication channels across departments, ensuring that design strategies, process updates, and insights are effectively communicated to stakeholders at all levels.
What You Bring to the Team
- Technical Experience: 7+ years of experience in a product design role working across the entire product development lifecycle and successfully shipping products.
- Effective Leadership: 5+ years of leading and fostering growth in Product Design teams within high-growth SaaS companies.
- B2B Expertise: Experience in leading Product Design within the B2B space.
- Agile Expertise: Strong proficiency in Agile design methodologies and iterative design processes.
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to pivot with changing priorities, think holistically and align design strategies with overall business goals.
- Design Pragmatism: Ability to strike the right balance between design idealism and pragmatism.
- Scientific Approach: Validates designs objectively and pushes data-backed hypotheses forward.
- Research Expertise: Background in both Generative and Evaluative design research practices.
- Persuasive communication: Ability to seek alignment and buy-in by effectively conveying design rationale and concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders
Where You’ll Work
- Loopio is a remote-first workplace because we recognize the advantages of working flexibly. We have two Hub Regions, which means that employees live and work within a 300 KM radius of Toronto (within Ontario) or Vancouver (within British Columbia) and work within regular business hours in their timezone.
- Loopio’s office headquarters are located in Toronto’s vibrant Kensington Market. All Loopers have the option to work from home. Ontario Loopers have the option to work in the Toronto HQ and BC Loopers may work from our co-working office in Gastown Vancouver. It is whatever works best for you!
- You’ll collaborate with your teams virtually (we’re just a Zoom call away!) and have established core sync hours and focus time during the workday to enable us to work smarter together
Why You’ll Love Working at Loopio
- Your manager supports your development by providing ongoing feedback and regular 1-on-1s
- You have tons of autonomy and responsibility: this role provides an opportunity to try new things and push creative boundaries
- You’ll learn more than you thought was possible; our team is obsessed with personal and professional growth (every Looper receives a professional mastery allowance each year)
- You’ll be set up to work remotely with a MacBook laptop, a monthly phone and internet allowance, and a work-from-home budget to help get your home office all set up!
- Join us in regular company socials, AMA (Ask-Me-Anything), and quarterly kick-off to celebrate the big wins and milestones as #oneteam!
- You’ll be joining a culture that has thoughtfully built out opportunities for connections in a remote first environment.
- We have Employee Resource Groups, virtual yoga, cooking classes and many more moments for us to have fun and learn together!
- You’ll be a part of an award-winning workplace and one of Canada’s fastest growing companies with ample opportunity to make a big impact here!
We recognize that all too often, potential candidates don’t apply for a position simply because they don’t hit every single criteria included in the job description—particularly members of underrepresented groups.
Whether or not your experience checks off all the boxes on a job posting, we still encourage you to apply to ensure that your application receives a review from our team. We understand that a resume can only showcase so much during the applicant stage, so we've created prompts in the application for you to share more about yourself. If you've made a career transition (or a few!), you’re self taught in a new role, or you have skills/experience you’d like to highlight, we want to hear more about what you could bring to the table.
Loopio is an equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to building equitable workplaces that are diverse and inclusive. We actively encourage candidates from all backgrounds and lifestyles to consider us as a future employer. Please contact a member of our Talent Experience team (email@example.com) should you require accommodations at any point during our virtual interview processes.