PR & Communications Lead
Marketing & Communications
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2023
KOHO’s purpose is to empower Canadians to build a great financial foundation with products that are radically transparent and easy to manage. We first launched in 2017, and we have since built a community of over 1 million users. Leading investors around the globe believe in our vision, and we’ve successfully raised over $320M to make our vision a reality.
The KOHO collective has grown to 250 employees to date. Discover our culture here and get the inside scoop from our team here!
About the Role
KOHO’s Marketing team is looking for an exceptional PR and Communications Lead to join our growing company. This individual — a seasoned strategic writer and expert in building relationships— is ready to roll up their sleeves and build out KOHO’s earned storytelling strategy. In this key role, you will enable us to grow our brand footprint and secure regular media coverage from product launches to brand initiatives.
As our PR and Communications Lead, you will work closely with our Brand Director and Social Lead to ensure a consistent tone of voice across our public-facing channels. A grammar and language expert to your core, you will be the owner of press relations at KOHO, responsible for coverage, audience growth, user engagement, and ensuring all communications are up to our brand standards. You’ll be putting together media collateral, pitching company news and expert interviews to reporters, helping develop innovative ways to get our brand in front of more eyes, and jumping in to help however you can.
If the progressive fintech space interests you, and communications is your passion, then please apply for this role.
What You'll Do
- Develop marketing communications plans including strategy, goals, tactics and budget
- Develop media relations strategy, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast and online media
- Collaborate with social media team to engage audiences across traditional and new media
- Evaluate opportunities for partnerships, sponsorships and advertising on an ongoing basis
- Maintain a keen understanding of industry trends affecting customers and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy surrounding them
- Write press releases and identify media opportunities and secure coverage for KOHO in all types of media, including broadcast, print and digital channels
- Manage media inquiries and interview requests, media training public-facing employees
- Research and create targeted media lists and update them on a regular basis
- Develop and manage existing and new relationships with journalists, partners and other external contacts
- Build relationships with thought leaders to grow industry awareness
- Manage deadlines and a dynamic schedule, while adjusting priorities on the fly
- Monitor, analyze and communicate PR results on a consistent basis
Who You Are
- You have 3+ years experience in Public Relations and Communications; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- You are immersed in the world of communications, always up to date on the latest trends and able to translate that into compelling stories
- You have direct experience in storytelling around services and software
- You have knowledge of personal finance fundamentals (or a desire to learn them!)
- You have excellent writing skills (and are a stickler for the details)
- You have an understanding of media and how to pitch to reporters
- You have a keen instinct for recognizing pitching angles that aren’t immediately obvious as well as knowing which reporters should be included on a pitch media list
- You have extreme attention to detail and organizational skills
- You are excited about joining a fast-growing startup!
What's In It For You?
We invest time and resources into making sure KOHO is as good as the people we hire. Here are some of the reasons we attract the best people:
• 🧘♂️ Balance Your Life - Company-wide Summer wellness days, Winter holiday closure, unlimited Personal Days, a wellness spending account, and maternity & parental leave top-up
• 💻 Remote First - Work from anywhere in Canada with a budget to set up your home office
• 🆙 Level Up - Access to 3 in-house certified performance coaches and an annual training budget
• 🥅 Reach Your Goals - Salary assessments twice per year
• 🙌 The KOHO Culture - We have won 7 "Great Place to Work ®" awards since 2019
• 🤝 Be an Owner - Every KOHO employee gets a generous amount of equity with a 10 year exercise window
The KOHO culture is one of collaboration, creativity, and diverse perspectives. We are committed to building and fostering an inclusive, accessible environment for everyone. If you have any questions, concerns, or requests regarding accessibility needs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and the People and Culture team will be happy to help.