Senior Legal Counsel
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2023
Kepler is on an audacious mission: to bring the internet to space. Founded in 2015, our ambition is to provide internet connectivity in space, whether in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 23 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team!
We are looking for our first in-house legal hire! As a Senior Legal Counsel, you will own and execute all aspects of the legal function for Kepler’s global entities and operations.
Here is a little more detail on what you can expect to work on:
- Develop legal strategy: Work with teams across Kepler to develop policies, processes, and frameworks to identify and address or mitigate legal risks & hurdles, in support of rapid business growth and international expansion.
- Contracts management: The initial and primary focus will be on drafting, negotiating, and executing contracts, including revenue agreements, terms of service and supplier subcontracts, taking into consideration the legal, financial, and operational objectives.
- Provide legal guidance: Advise the internal team on a wide range of legal issues, including HR & employment matters, equity plans, IP/patent, licensing, disputes, M&A, and other corporate matters. Coordinate with external legal counsel as necessary.
- Compliance & Governance: Implement corporate governance best practices. Monitor and ensure compliance with international and local applicable laws, regulations, and standards.
This is a hybrid role requiring frequent on-site presence in Toronto.
What you should have:
- Juris Doctor (JD) and membership to a bar association in Canada.
- 7+ years of experience, preferably a mix of corporate and in-house counsel serving start-up companies scaling internationally.
- Exceptional judgment and integrity.
- Strong negotiator and communicator, with the ability to articulate complex concepts to diverse audiences and effectively engage with stakeholders at various levels.
- Business acumen and project management skills, balancing trade-offs between business agility and legal risk.
- Ability to think and operate at a "strategic level," but drive execution on a "tactical level" with the willingness to roll-up sleeves.
- Willingness to work on projects of all types and resourcefulness to bring legal expertise on a variety of topics.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Familiarity with the Aerospace or tech industry and/or B2B.
- Thrives in ambiguous situations, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a fast-changing environment.
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team, through our Career Page to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.