RF Engineering Manager
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2023
Kepler is on an audacious mission: to bring the internet to space. Founded in 2015, our ambition is to provide internet connectivity in space, whether in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 21 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team!
Kepler is seeking a dynamic and experienced RF Engineering Manager. This role would provide functional engineering leadership in the realm of board-level RF hardware development towards Kepler’s Internet in Space products. The selected person will be an energetic and strong communicator that is interested and capable of both people management as well as technical leadership. The selected person will be responsible for building, growing and leading a world-class team of RF engineers. The expected time breakdown for this position is as follows:
· Coaching, Leadership and Development (70%)
· Technical contribution (30%)
- Lead and manage a high-performance board-level RF engineering team (8-10 people)
- Establish a vision and growth strategy for the RF engineering team
- Participate or own technical leadership of RF engineering projects
- Recruit and hire exceptional employees to build/maintain a world-class RF engineering team
- Implement and promote a rapid pace of innovation by personifying a “can-do” attitude
- Work closely with product managers to ensure all RF designs align strongly with business and product goals. Evangelize a product engineering mindset.
- Work closely with program managers to ensure all projects are appropriately budgeted and resourced in terms of RF expenses and personnel
- Manage the RF engineering team budget, ensuring the team has the tools, equipment and software needed to succeed while keeping costs in check
- Work closely with other functional engineering leads to maintain alignment in development processes
- Work closely with cross-functional technical leads to ensure high performance of RF engineers staffing those cross-functional teams
- Provide leadership, coaching, and mentoring during weekly 1:1’s, conduct semiannual performance reviews, and inspire your team to achieve mission success utilizing Kepler Career Development and Learning & Development programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in board-level RF hardware development (radios, transceivers, amplifiers, filters etc.)
- 2+ years of experience leading and managing teams of RF engineers or cross-functional teams with a significant RF component
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and training new high performing employees
- Excellent communication, collaboration and teamworking skills
- Adapts well to changes in priorities and effectively deals with ambiguity; comfortable working in a start-up environment
- Proficient in all technical aspects related to board-level RF design
- Experience with agile hardware development
- Experience bringing RF products to market
- Experience in antenna development or managing antenna engineers
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team, through our Career Page to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.