Hardware Engineering Director
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2023
Kepler is on an audacious mission: to bring the internet to space. Founded in 2015, our ambition is to provide internet connectivity in space, whether in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 23 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team!
Kepler is looking for a Hardware Engineering Director who is passionate about bringing ideas, creativity, and designs to life. This position requires collaboration across other cross-functional engineering teams including RF and Electrical and Mechanical engineers to develop high-performance and high-reliability products. The successful applicant has a diverse background in working with RF, Digital, and mechanical systems to generate innovative solutions.
This is where you will spend your time:
· 60% management/leadership
· 30% recruiting/hiring
· 10% individual contribution
- Lead and develop a growing team of mechanical and electrical design engineers with a focus on agile hardware development.
- Promote learnings from successes and challenges within the functions and across multidiscipline teams.
- Collaborate with Project and Product Managers to define product attributes, resource plans, and features, and communicate to all stakeholders and internal team members.
- Be a working coach to develop and mentor team members while challenging them to improve the status quo.
- Actively engage in system/ product design reviews to provide critical feedback and assist design engineers who may be less familiar with advanced techniques.
- Work with your engineers to define consistent company-wide PCB and Mechanical design standards documentation and guidelines.
- Drive knowledge-sharing activities to build up the technical knowledge of engineers on the Kepler team.
- Provide leadership, coaching, and mentoring during weekly 1:1’s, conduct semiannual performance reviews, and inspire your team to achieve mission success utilizing Kepler Career Development and Learning & Development programs.
- Actively participate in conversations around engineering culture and work to facilitate the growth of the broader engineering team.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent.
- Strong knowledge of engineering fundamentals.
- Highly motivated, proactive, and always wanting to take on new challenges.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Experience with putting technical proposals together.
- Demonstrate resilience and tenacity, ability to lead when faced with ambiguity.
- Aspirational role model for the team.
- Experience in agile hardware development methodologies.
- Experience in a high-growth, high-tech environment.
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team, through our Career Page to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.