RF/Antenna Engineering Intern (Spring 2024) [8-16 months]
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2023
Kepler is on an audacious mission: to bring the internet to space. Founded in 2015, our ambition is to provide internet connectivity in space, whether in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 23 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team!
We're on the hunt for a top-tier RF/Antenna Intern.
Your focus will be on assisting RF hardware development and test, specifically hardware related to both our space-based communications payloads as well as ground-based assets. We are looking for exceptional candidates with the below experience along with any unique abilities that could be used to augment our small but strong RF team.
- Assist more senior engineers in all activities related to RF/Antenna design, manufacturing and testing for spacecraft, ground terminals and test infrastructure.
- Assist in the design of new RF hardware by performing component selection, schematic capture, layout and fabrication as well as design reviews.
- Perform performance and acceptance testing for RF frontends and antennas using equipment such as VNAs, Spectrum Analyzers, Signal Generators and antenna range systems (far-field and near-field).
- Write software to control test equipment or hardware under test in languages such as Python/C.
- Build infrastructure to assist in the testing of RF hardware.
- Simulate and model RF systems and structures for new designs and test setups.
- Currently enrolled in an Engineering, Physics or similar degree program
- Experience in hardware design outside of class projects, particularly related to RF and/or Antennas. Experience on CubeSat teams is a strong plus.
- Experience with basic RF concepts such as: impedance matching, smith chart, network analysis, active and passive microwave components and systems (mixers, amplifiers, transistors at RF frequencies) and their figures of merit (P1dB, Psat, IIP3, noise figure, etc.), RF filter design, antenna figures of merit.
- Some experience with RF test equipment such as VNAs, Spectrum Analyzers, Signal Generators and antenna test systems (far-field/near-field)
- Experience with programming languages such as Python and C++, particularly as it relates to controlling hardware or modelling RF systems.
- Experience with commercial RF design tools such as ADS/CST/HFSS is a plus.
- Experience with circuit design/layout tools such as Altium/Eagle/KiCAD is a plus.
Please do not self-select out if you do not meet all of the criteria in this job description. If you think you could be a fit, please apply, our team would love to review your application!
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team, through our Career Page to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.