Staff Software Engineer, Business Insights
Do you want to develop more than just a product?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Staff Software Engineer to be part of our growing team.
At Jobber, we don’t just build a product - we work on real problems that help people in small businesses to become successful. We are inspired by our company values: be humble, be supportive and give a shit, which are not just said but are lived. We work in a collaborative environment where teams make decisions with autonomy and contribute directly to shaping the company’s future. We release early and often while dedicating time to address technical debt. We believe in getting instant feedback from our customers and leveraging that to make their lives easier.
We help employees grow professionally; we have a ton of onboarding resources, tutorials, hackathons and buddies to support learnings and provide opportunities to innovate. We have a range of experience levels on teams which allow for mentor/mentee opportunities. Leaders at Jobber work with empathy and support employees to build a healthy work-life harmony. Bring your dedication and passion to this job to fulfill your goals.
Our Software Engineering team is central to the success of Jobber - focused on creating software that delivers value to tens of thousands of users around the world. The Business Insights team focuses on empowering our service providers to make better decisions by providing them with data and insights.
Service Providers want to run successful businesses, but as they grow it becomes challenging to understand how they are doing. Service Providers want to know that work is being sold, delivered, and paid for appropriately, which becomes very time consuming when manually collecting and analyzing data. That’s where the team comes in!
At Jobber we never stop growing and learning, and you shouldn’t either. Through continuous 1:1s, dedicated feedback and support from your manager and our Learning and Development team, and your own sense of curiosity, we hope you develop to another level with your skill set.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Staff Software Engineer will be a technical leader within our Product Software Engineering team, working with scrum teams to build an industry leading product that helps our customers and their small businesses be successful. We’re looking for people who are ready to solve problems that millions of entrepreneurs are facing, using their experience to influence both a product and our team, all the while still working on developing their own craft.
In this role, it’s important that you’re a champion of best practices for well-tested, scalable, and well-organized code. In addition, you customize and extend tools and processes to increase the effectiveness of your team, and mentor others to do the same.
As a Staff Software Engineer you will:
- Be involved in the full development life-cycle of a feature, from ideation to delivery and adoption
- Participate in code review and testing, while driving engineering solutions to have consistent practices and reusable code
- Facilitate group discussions with team members and stakeholders to determine the best solution to our customer’s problems
- Research, communicate, and advocate for the use of best practices within your team’s domain
- Breakdown and explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Mentor and coach junior teammates, helping them elevate their skills and careers
To be successful, you should have:
- A demonstrated level of software engineering experience on a backend-focused team
- A proven track record of building highly scalable software
- Experience or strong knowledge of Ruby on Rails and/or React/TypeScript, but more importantly a interest and willingness to work fullstack
- Experience leading a team or a project and acting as a technical leader
- Strong software design and architecture skills
- Enthusiasm for delivering value early and often to customers
- An inquisitive mindset; ability to ask a lot of questions, seek out new information and remain open to new ideas and perspectives.
- The ability to self serve, take initiative and find resources necessary to accomplish a project or solve a problem.
- Impeccable communication skill and a team player attitude
It would be really great (but not a deal-breaker) if you had:
- Experience with building GraphQL systems
- Experience with cloud infrastructure and tooling
- Experience integrating third-party products to build an app catalog
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named as a Top 10 Great Place to Work in Canada, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!