Director, Data Engineering
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Director, Data to be part of our Business Operations (“BizOps”) department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. We work with small home service businesses, like your local plumbers, electricians, painters, and landscapers, to transform the way service is delivered through technology. With Jobber they can quote, schedule, invoice, and collect payments from their customers, while providing an easy and professional customer experience. Running a small business today isn’t like it used to be—the way we consume and deliver service is changing rapidly, technology is evolving, and customers expect more. That’s why we put the power and flexibility in their hands to run their businesses how, where, and when they want!
Our culture of transparency, inclusivity, collaboration, and innovation has been recognized by Great Place to Work, Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, and more. Jobber has also been named on the Globe and Mail’s Canada’s Top Growing Companies list, and Deloitte Canada’s Technology Fast 50™, Enterprise Fast 15, and Technology Fast 500™ lists. With an Executive team that has over thirty years of industry experience of leading the way, we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011—but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
The BizOps Department at Jobber:
Like Jobber empowers small businesses with the tools and insights they need to succeed, the BizOps Department ensures our people at Jobber have the tooling, data insights, and strategic direction to excel in our shared mission. We turn data into actionable insights, and work with departments across the company to execute against their mandates. Essentially, BizOps serves as a central hub that drives business outcomes in different corners of Jobber, with specialized groups including Business Strategy, Revenue Operations, Business Analytics, and Business Technology.
Reporting to the VP of Business Operations, we are seeking an experienced leader to develop our Data Engineering and Data Science teams. Partnering with various teams and leaders across the company, you’ll build a data strategy and vision that will enable us to extract and deliver value through data at scale - while always keeping the core principles of data accessibility, quality, governance, security and compliance.
The Director, Data will:
- Drive Data Strategy: Craft and execute a robust data strategy that aligns with Jobber's business goals. Ensure that our data assets are secure, available, and maintain their integrity. Seamlessly align the initiatives of the Data Engineering and Data Science teams to our broader objectives.
- Collaborate across the business: Work in tandem with leadership to identify and prioritize data projects that bolster business growth, enhance operations, and elevate customer satisfaction. Collaborate with other BizOps leaders in executing these initiatives effectively.
- Continuous improvement: Maintain accountability for a roadmap of ongoing and measurable improvements to data availability and accessibility, data quality, system resilience and reliability, automation, and data consumption across the businesses.
- Develop a world-class team. Provide strategic direction and technical insights to a team of data professionals; product managers, data engineers, data scientists, and business intelligence analysts. Identify gaps and opportunities to continue developing this team to meet the needs of the business for years to come.
- Champion advanced analytics at Jobber. Guide the Data Science team and partner closely with Business Analytics. Develop and deliver analytics models and machine learning solutions to address business challenges in diverse areas such as Risk, Marketing, and Sales.
- Implement & Evangelize Data Governance: Promote structured data governance, ensuring a unified source of truth and standardized practices at Jobber. Collaborate with Legal, Security, and related teams to reinforce privacy, compliance and legislation adherence.
To be successful, you should have:
- Proven experience as a senior leader of data engineering, data science, or a related role at scale, with a minimum 2 years experience in managing these teams.
- Demonstrated expertise leading, architecting and deploying robust, large-scale data platforms and pipelines using DevOps and SRE best practices.
- Strong proficiency in machine learning algorithms, statistical modeling, and data visualization techniques.
- Commitment to staying abreast of current and emerging big-data technologies and architectures, ensuring Jobber remains at the forefront of the data landscape.
- The ability to be agile in a dynamic environment. You’ll be leading and teaching your team to adapt to change, and reading the overall company strategy and context to set the direction for the team.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills are essential. As a key link between departments, you'll be articulating our strategy, managing stakeholder expectations, and ensuring we tackle top challenges and opportunities. Influencing change across the organization is vital.
- Ability to recruit, develop, motivate and mentor a team of data engineers, data scientists, and data analyst professionals. Objectively measure performance, velocity, and impact.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named as a Top 10 Great Place to Work in Canada, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!