Senior Manager, Product Design
Are you interested in being part of a high-performing team solving a real business need?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Senior Manager of Product Design to lead our Fintech and Platform groups.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. We recently raised a $100m Series D from General Atlantic to build the next evolution of our product. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Toronto or Edmonton offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
Reporting to the Director of Product Design, the Senior Manager, Product Design will deeply understand both the overall market conditions and our customers’ problems, to ensure we are executing on the highest priority initiatives. Leading design on the Fintech and Platform product groups, you will be directly responsible for your team’s delivery of high quality and thoughtful user experiences. This is a very collaborative role that will require you to work closely with many stakeholders across Jobber.
You will utilize data and consumer research to understand and validate top priorities, conceptualize a strategy, and incrementally execute on that strategy with teams of designers, product managers, and developers to then measure success. You will help shape the team visions, and keep designers and stakeholders engaged and excited about finding and developing solutions to empower mobile small businesses.
The needs of businesses running on Jobber are complex and constantly evolving. We build both operational and financial tooling to help small businesses thrive and grow. As a Senior Manager, you will scale across 2 teams: Fintech and Platform. Both are key pillars of Jobber’s long-term strategic growth.
Fintech is one of the fastest-growing parts of Jobber. Embedding financial tools within our product deepens our ability to help small businesses be successful. Whether it’s helping small businesses get paid using Jobber Payments, offer financing to their customers, or access to capital to invest in growth - we believe small business owners should have seamless access to financial tools that allow them to thrive.
The Fintech team is responsible for owning the vision for how financial services in Jobber will evolve, from invoicing and billing to potential payroll integrations, corporate expense cards, advanced reporting, and other tools.
The Platform team leads all efforts to support our app and partner ecosystem, with an emphasis on scalability. While our core Jobber product aims to meet 80% of user needs, the apps and integrations delivered by our partner and developer ecosystem close the remaining gap. You will play a critical role in developing the early stages of our platform approach.
The Senior Manager, Product Design will:
- Understand the user experience through qualitative and quantitative research. In order to understand the customers, you’ll have to take large amounts of data points, research, and feedback and distill it down to what is truly important. Our customers are the life-blood of our product, and understanding their problem areas within Jobber will inform strategic decisions and solutions, and shape the product experiences.
- Be responsible for the product design vision within Fintech and the Platform team. You and your design teams will own the creative process of generating, developing, and curating new ideas. By understanding the connections between people’s day-to-day work, the overall product vision, and customers’ needs, you work with your product management & engineering partners to prioritize building what matters to achieve the products’ strategic goals and initiatives.
- Build a plan, implement, and then measure success. You’ll be responsible for design plans and delivery timelines aligned with Product briefs and key milestones.
- Manage and grow a team of Product Designers with varying levels of experience and backgrounds. You practice situational leadership and can balance coaching, feedback, and mentorship of designers to improve their craft and achieve their career ambitions.
- Work with other product leaders to communicate clear ideas and vision to Jobber’s Executive team.
To be successful, you should have:
- Execution excellence. You are motivated by getting things across the finish line, and have a solid track record of managing projects and multiple priorities at any given time.
- A desire to collaborate. To deliver high-quality features as quickly as possible, you’ll need to partner with many different people and departments.
- A knack for the details, with an understanding of the big picture. In your role, the details matter, and help drive your team forward with a sense of direction and clarity. You balance quantitative and qualitative research in decision making, and have a solid understanding of the end-to-end product design process, and the artifacts that come out of the journey.
- Next level communication skills. Your written and verbal communication skills help articulate the voice of the customer and the needs of the business.
- Empathy. You are naturally empathetic. This means you have innate curiosity and the ability to understand our customers - what motivates them, frustrates them, drives them and makes them happy.
- An ability to motivate. You listen before speaking and understand before providing solutions. You focus on the relationship and build trust easily. You have experience managing designers in a high-growth environment.
- Ownership. You are driven to do the right things for your work. You are accountable to both your successes and your shortcomings. You want to move fast and aggressively. You have experience with SAAS business, and an understanding of the basic SAAS metrics that lead to business success.
It would be nice (but not a deal-breaker) if you had:
- Experience in fintech and/or app ecosystems.
- Past startup experience, specifically in an organization that experienced fast-paced growth.
- Experience working closely with specialist design disciplines including but not limited to UX research, content strategy, design systems, design operations, and prototyping.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named as a Top 10 Great Place to Work in Canada, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!