Distinguished Software Engineer, Product Experience
Do you want to develop more than just a product?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Distinguished Software Engineer to be part of our Software Engineering team.
At Jobber, we don’t just build a product - we work on real problems that help people in small businesses to become successful. We are inspired by our company values: be humble, be supportive and give a shit, which are not just said but are lived. We work in a collaborative environment where teams make decisions with autonomy and contribute directly to shaping the company’s future. We release early and often while dedicating time to address technical debt. We believe in getting instant feedback from our customers and leveraging that to make their lives easier.
We help employees grow professionally; we have a ton of onboarding resources, tutorials, hackathons and buddies to support learnings and provide opportunities to innovate. We have a range of experience levels on teams which allow for mentor/mentee opportunities. Leaders at Jobber work with empathy and support employees to build a healthy work-life harmony. Bring your dedication and passion to this job to fulfill your goals.
As a member of Jobber’s Engineering Leadership team, you’ll work with engineers across Jobber to refine and guide our practice across the front end of the stack. You’ll work closely with other leaders and teams, mentor Staff and Principal engineers, collaborate with product & design team members, and develop the technical vision in concert with other experts across the tech stack.
Reporting to the Director, Software Engineering, the Distinguished Software Engineer will work across the engineering organization to build an industry leading product that helps our customers and their small businesses be successful. We’re looking for someone who is ready to solve problems that millions of entrepreneurs are facing, using their experience to drive solutions and influence the engineering organization and Jobber as a whole to achieve this goal. It's important that you can lead by example, influence decision-making, effectively handle conflict, and be a champion for engineering best practices.
The Distinguished Software Engineer will ensure the engineering organization is able to deliver work accurately and with high quality (and as efficiently as possible given the other constraints). This often will look like mentoring and lending a coding hand where needed. Distinguished Engineers are also expected to have a voice in long term strategy and technical direction and to constantly be looking for ways to accelerate the teams through tools, processes and whatever else presents itself. Finally, Distinguished Engineers collaborate with Directors, Senior Managers, and Managers to help all developers grow.
The Distinguished Software Engineer will:
- Understand how and why our customers work the way they do, so you can participate in the complete lifecycle of features in Jobber's online and mobile apps.
- Build on and refine Jobber’s direction and strategy on how we practice building out our web and mobile front ends.
- Deliver high quality and well-structured code and mentor teammates to do the same
- Actively engage with stakeholders to determine the best solution to our customer's problems
- Be ready and willing to jump in where needed at any time to facilitate teams achieving their goals
- Identify, advocate for, and lead cross-functional initiatives
- Breakdown and explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
To be successful, you should have:
- A rich, well-rounded software engineering background with a proven track record of developing impactful customer-facing software products
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of complex problems and lead engineering efforts across multiple teams to build scalable solutions with long term benefit and reach business objectives
- Proficiency and rich experience in web development at scale, with a focus on modern front-end technologies, frameworks, and architectures.
- Enthusiasm for delivering value early and often to customers.
- Impeccable communication and the ability to drive ideas across the finish line.
It would be really great (but not a deal-breaker) if you had (our stack):
- Deep experience with using React to build SPAs or PWAs.
- Experience converting large scale applications from MVC or similar architectures to modern decoupled, web services powered front ends.
- Experience building or consuming GraphQL APIs in a production environment
- A strong understanding of full-stack development
- Experience building mobile apps with React Native
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named as a Top 10 Great Place to Work in Canada, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!
Something looks off?