Production Operations Engineer
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles over 350 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day), all running in our own global data centers. Every member of our technology team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building and managing our systems to support and enable our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
We have more than 550 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams, and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
About the Team:
The global Production Operations group is integral to ensuring the operational stability and reliability of our worldwide 24x7 on-premises and cloud environments. As the first line of defense this team has ownership of operations engineering. Collaborating closely with IT, SRE, Network, and Data engineering teams, and key stakeholders across business, product, and software engineering teams. We play a crucial role in maintaining systems health, responding to incidents, and optimizing the performance, efficiency, and stability of complex global systems.
Here's what you'll be doing:
The ideal engineer is someone who possesses a solid understanding of systems, network and hardware fundamentals and can quickly learn and get up to speed on the operations behind complex global systems.
- Maintain oversight on internal metrics, including the health, security, and performance of on-premises & hybrid-cloud network and systems infrastructure environments.
- Execute timely and effective incident response, identifying and mitigating issues to minimize downtime.
- Respond to alerts within our established SLOs and assist in incident triage, ensuring that the right teams are engaged to address issues promptly.
- Participate in maintaining system backups, disaster recovery plans, and security protocols are in place and maintained.
Support, Collaboration, and Reporting
- Serve as a point-of-contact team for operational issues, providing both internal and external teams with technical support and ensuring the issue remains in custody until resolution.
- Collaborate with product and software engineering teams to relay operational insights and requirements.
Automation, Tooling & Research
- Continuously identify opportunities for optimization and present findings to technical leads and management.
- Research and implement improvements enhancing systems performance and scalability.
- Continuously research and embrace technological advancements and industry best practices to deliver exceptional service.
- Actively identify and mitigate risks and escalate them so the team can proactively address present or anticipated operational challenges.
- Develop, implement, and maintain automation frameworks streamlining operational processes, reducing time spent on manual tasks.
- Identify catalysts for future optimization including provisioning techniques, deployment optimization, ancillary services, pipelines, ansible playbooks, power usage, bandwidth etc.
Documentation and Knowledge Sharing
- Draft comprehensive documentation for system configurations, processes, and incident resolution procedures.
- Participate in knowledge sharing within the team and with support provided about the content and delivery, provide cross-training to other relevant departments.
- Create and maintain runbooks and technical documentation, in addition to being familiar with internal and external escalation pathways.
- Joining a globally distributed team that maintains coverage 24X7. As a member of this team and broader group, you may be required to occasionally work some weekends, holidays, and after hours to respond to high-urgency or emergency events outside of your local time-zone.
Here's what you need:
- In-depth understanding of the Linux operating environment: kernel tuning, network stack tuning, system observability & instrumentation, and security & access management.
- Solid understanding of layer 2-7 networking fundamentals and the relationship between servers & services, and the transit of their packets through network hardware.
- In-depth experience engineering and maintaining a private-cloud infrastructure: Bare-metal, vSphere, KVM, Kubernetes.
- Experience with tools like Ansible, Terraform, Docker, Kafka, Nexus
- Experiencing with observability platforms: InfluxDB, Prometheus, ELK, Jaeger, Grafana, Nagios, Zabbix
- Familiarity with Big Data tools: Hadoop, HDFS, Spark, HBase
- Ability to write code in Go, Python, Bash, or Perl for automation.
- 3-6 years of proven experience in previous roles or one of the following roles:
- DevOps Engineer
- Linux System Administrator
- Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
- Built or maintained a private-cloud infrastructure running centos/rocky linux on a mix of bare-metal, virtualization, and containerization.
- Managed public cloud environments such as aws, gcp, azure and their federation into on-premise environments.
- Life-cycle management of baremetal servers such as Dell and Supermicro in globally distributed data centers (e.g. break-fix, baseband/firmware updates).
- Built or maintained on-premise and cloud Kubernetes clusters: Kubadm, Kind, EKS, GKE
- Built or operated automation & orchestration frameworks for deployment & maintenance pipelines: e.g. kafka, stackstorm, ansible, argocd, terraform to push out code or configuration updates, and building new infrastructure systems
- Communication: Clear and effective communication within and across teams. While we place a huge premium on technical skill, we value just as much your ability to work with other people.
- Curiosity: things can (and will) break for different reasons; your curiosity will help drive you to identify and fix the things that go wrong
- Alertness: we can never predict when things will go wrong so it is your job to be vigilant and prepared to respond when they do; you must be ready to reach out, ask questions and sound the alarm when necessary
- Analytical Thinking: Monitor and analyze activity, collaborate with other departments to maintain technical defense.
- Reliability: Prioritize the reliability of our systems, ensuring our exchange customers can trust in our services 24x7. Adhere to operational procedures, best practices, and security protocols.
- Continuous Improvement: Embrace a culture of continuous learning and innovation, always seeking ways to enhance our operational efficiency.
- Customer-Centricity: Committed to providing the best possible experience for our customers, both internal and external.
- Accountability: Take ownership of our responsibilities and hold ourselves accountable for the quality of our work.
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Company paid comprehensive health and life insurance plans
- Paid Time off and flexible work schedules
- Company contribution to Provident Fund
- Participation in our company Stock options plan
- Company paid Parental Leave
- Monthly internet stipend
- Quarterly Wellness allowance
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Volunteer paid day off
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Index Exchange is aware that there have been recent scams directed toward candidates regarding job interviews and offers.
Please be vigilant and do not accept interview requests, job offers, or other hiring-related documents from anyone other than our dedicated recruitment team, from the domain of @indexexchange.com. Our interview process consists of several steps, including phone screens and video interviews. We do not conduct interviews via an email questionnaire or request money at any point in the process.
We remain dedicated to resolving this matter and we appreciate your support.
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
Index Everywhere, Index Anywhere
Our corporate headquarters are in Toronto, with major offices in New York, Montreal, Kitchener, London, San Francisco, and many other global cities. As a major global advertising exchange, we are committed to operating as a tightly knit global team and embracing and empowering talent wherever our colleagues may be. All our technology positions and teams are open to remote and virtual work.