Staff Software Engineer, Wrappers and Rendering
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles over 300 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day), all running in our own global data centers. Every member of our technology team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building and managing our systems to support and enable our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
About The Role:
A Staff Software Engineer at Index:
- Takes ownership of their work, works with peers in their division to avoid silos and leads by example
- Embodies cross team collaboration and extensively working with other teams across Index to achieve the team’s goals
- Contributes to standards, adheres to laid out processes and strives towards continuous improvement of engineering as a whole
- Easily applies technology principles and design techniques based on experience contributing towards complex system design considering due system constraints
- Participates in review of designs/code of other engineers and provide suggestions for improvements
Index’s scale spans the globe, our transactions happen 24x7 in our global data centers, and every second that passes millions of requests are evaluated across our exchange. In order to achieve our mission, global efficiency and reliability are absolutely key, as every millisecond quite literally counts in our business.
What We’re Looking For:
- Experience and Leadership: An engineering leader with exposure to working and leading in a globally distributed, culturally diverse team. A leader who knows how to work with a team of developers, helps mentor and guide them as well as leverage your experience to make sound decisions
- Problem Solvers: You don’t stop until the problem gets solved and you find more than one way to solve it. You love working with other people, presenting your viewpoint but ultimately working towards the best solution, regardless of where it comes from
- Knowledge Hungry: Learning new frameworks and languages is exciting to you – you’re not satisfied with the status quo. We use a variety of languages and tools to solve problems and we're interested in what you're looking to learn
Here's What You Need:
- Master’s Degree(preferably) in Computer Science Engineering (or related field)
- 12+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- Demonstrable expertise in web-based development and a deep understanding of browser behavior
- Experience in designing, writing and testing high quality code in a large and scalable deployment environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills, the ability to think differently, and an understanding that compromise, negotiation and practicality are important qualities
- A desire to work with and learn from the people around you – we greatly value people and interactions
- You are talented, fast learner, that embraces and leads change
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- One day off per year to volunteer
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
Index Everywhere, Index Anywhere
Our corporate headquarters are in Toronto, with major offices in New York, Montreal, Kitchener, London, San Francisco, and many other global cities. As a major global advertising exchange, we are committed to operating as a tightly knit global team and embracing and empowering talent wherever our colleagues may be. All our technology positions and teams are open to remote and virtual work.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.
Something looks off?