Engineering Lead Manager, Data Science
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles over 300 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day), all running in our own global data centers. Every member of our technology team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building and managing our systems to support and enable our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams, and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
About The Role:
We’re looking for an Engineering Lead Manager, Data Science to support the Machine Learning and Optimization organization with ownership over the research, development and production of our ML and data science algorithms and usage of our data pipelines. Our systems process over 250 billion auction events and up to 100TB of data every day. The opportunity is immense.
Index’s scale spans the globe, our transactions happen 24x7 in our global data centers, and every second that passes millions of requests are evaluated across our exchange. In order to achieve our mission, global efficiency and reliability are absolutely key, as every millisecond quite literally counts in our business.
What We’re Looking For:
- Technical Leadership: You have gained experience and skills that enable you to chart a technical path for products, systems, and architectures. You are happy to be hands-on in the code, but your biggest impact is leading from the front and guiding others. Your role is to represent the technical health and future of the products you support and applying industry best practices towards designs and implementations.
- People Leadership: You know how to work with and lead a team of data scientists and machine learning engineers. You have demonstrated mentorship skills and set a technical vision to challenge your team in a way that empowers them to have incredible impact. You empower teams, who in turn build intricate systems that deliver great outcomes.
- Handler of Broad Scope: You thrive in environments where multiple projects and initiatives are under your ownership in different maturity levels. Specifically when the number of initiatives is larger than the resources. You are able to self manage your own and your team’s time in each of the projects in the intent of achieving the highest impact on the organisation. You take sequencing of projects and tasks into consideration and proactively report progress and delays to drive coordination.
- Driver of Outcomes: You are intentional in your path, establishing a vision or hypothesis, setting a direction, and guiding your team through execution. You use data to inform pivots or to validate assumptions, and partner with the Product team to set a roadmap, establish goals and forecasts to achieve both technical and business outcomes.
- End-to-End Owner: You take great pride in the products your team owns and delivers, and take full responsibility for their quality, health, and outcomes. You lead your team in ensuring services remain healthy and that technical debt is regularly paid down. When issues arise, you lead your team in responding, mitigating, and addressing the issues to learn from them for the future.
- Organizational Coordinator: You are the first point of contact for your team, your products, and your delivery plan. You foster a collaborative approach to delivery and leverage those relationships to unblock dependencies. You are a strong communicator and collaborator, responsive when issues arise, and celebrate successes by representing your team's achievements to the rest of the organization.
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated leadership and management of 3-10 person teams.
- A passion for cutting edge technologies, leading teams, and nurturing talent development among your team(s).
- Extensive experience in visualization and explanatory articulation of data science approaches, test and production results.
- Experience with ML and data science platforms and technologies.
- Experience with building and managing ML data pipeline to support data science and machine learning initiatives.
- Experience with data preparation and cleaning as well as data enrichment.
- Knowledge of big data stack including Kafka, Hadoop, Spark, Scala, and Airflow, as well as data warehouse technologies such as Vertica.
- Knowledge of BI tools like Looker and/or Redash will be very helpful.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernates is a plus.
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- One day off per year to volunteer
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
Index Everywhere, Index Anywhere
Our corporate headquarters are in Toronto, with major offices in New York, Montreal, Kitchener, London, San Francisco, and many other global cities. As a major global advertising exchange, we are committed to operating as a tightly knit global team and embracing and empowering talent wherever our colleagues may be. All our technology positions and teams are open to remote and virtual work.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.
Something looks off?