Senior Compliance Manager
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
As the Compliance Analyst, you will play a pivotal role in ensuring our company’s adherence to regulatory standards and ethical practices. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams, implementing and overseeing compliance requirements to support our growth in alignment with industry guidelines. You will be an integral part of a dynamic product team responsible for setting effective payroll compliance requirements for all current and new products.
Who are we?
Humi’s mission is to help organizations throughout Canada foster their greatest asset – their employees. Starting with a powerful yet intuitive HR, payroll, benefits, and insurance platform, Humi has established a leadership position as the only company addressing all of these needs in one place. With a potential reach spanning every business in Canada, and a platform that touches every employee at every business that uses it, Humi is reimagining the future of work.
Humi is backed by reputable investors including: Kensington Capital Partners, a firm with over 25 years of investment experience, TELUS Ventures who partners with disruptive, market-transforming companies, Tribe Capital, the same group who funded Slack and Carta. Y-Combinator, the top value-based U.S. accelerator, and several of the world’s leading angel investors.
We’re hiring across Canada and are open to applicants who prefer to work remotely!
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce, representative of the communities we serve and beyond. We encourage, and are pleased to consider, applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/persons of colour, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who contribute towards promoting innovative
What you’ll be doing:
- Work closely with and advise our Product, Engineering, Operations, CX, and Finance teams to adapt and implement compliance requirements, policies, calculations, and procedures tailored to the Humi’s unique needs and regulatory requirements in Canada.
- Oversee the payroll compliance roadmap and conduct risk management that incorporates risk assessment, training, testing and reporting.
- Develop and deliver payroll compliance training with cross-functional teams to ensure all employees are well-versed in relevant regulations and ethical standards.
- Stay abreast of relevant laws and regulations at both the provincial and federal level, providing guidance to leadership on compliance implications and ensuring the organization's activities are operationally sound.
- Cultivate positive relationships with regulatory authorities and external partners, serving as the primary point of contact for compliance-related matter (e.g. internal and external audits).
You'll thrive here if you:
- Are excited about navigating the regulatory requirements of Humi’s existing - HR, payroll softwares, group benefits insurance brokerages - and new lines of businesses and able to identify and prioritize compliance gaps within them, including what does and doesn’t work, so that you can confidently advise on improvements to be made within our product offerings.
- Have interest and respect for employment rules and regulations as well as eagerness to innovate and drive the industry forward.
- Are proactive in your approach to regulation changes and solutions.
- Have exceptional communication skills. Our teams are very collaborative and work closely together. We need someone who is comfortable partnering and communicating with both technical and non-technical team members in addition to internal and external stakeholders.
- Are highly organized and focused with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Work well both as a team member and individually.
- Are not afraid of taking initiative and can function with autonomy in your work while still being able to get your work done on a deadline without compromising quality.
Ideally, you would bring:
- 5+ experience in a compliance leadership role in a highly regulated industry such as payroll, tax, insurance, or financial services.
- Experience developing and delivering comprehensive compliance requirements by identifying, monitoring and controlling significant consumer and safety and soundness regulatory risks in a highly-complex, integrated organization.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to assess and mitigate risk effectively.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate course.
- Previous experience at a tech company working with product teams.
Why join Humi?
- As a team that services the HR world, we are a team that understands you perform best in an environment that cares about their employees
- Be part of a high performing team of critical thinkers that thrive on problem solving
- Access leadership and growth opportunities as the company rapidly scales
- Maintain work-life engagement with flex hours and our Long(er) weekends initiative
- Opportunity to work fully remote across Canada if you choose to
Please note that all successful candidates will only receive offers through the Humi platform and we do not issue offers outside of our platform. We do not make any offers of employment via social media. Please see our resource library for the best ways to detect fraud and fraudulent activity.