Expression of Interest - Senior Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2023
In anticipation of future hiring needs in Early 2024, we are collecting applications of interest for Senior Software Engineering positions for our Payroll Product.
Our Engineering team will be looking for a strong developer who has a passion for diving deep to build highly scalable and robust systems! All the while collaborating deeply with others on a kind, helpful and innovative team. As a key player on this team, you will be ready to deep dive into problems with the support of your team all the while weighing the cost and value in order to take the action that makes the most sense.
As a Senior Software Engineer in one of our Payroll software engineering squad, you will be an integral part of the engineering team. You will be facilitating the direction of projects with the team and stakeholders while driving creative solutions to our customer’s problems. If you have an aptitude for weighing in on tradeoffs between different technical approaches that could be taken then we want to hear from you!
Who are we?
Humi’s mission is to help organizations throughout Canada foster their greatest asset – their employees. Starting with a powerful yet intuitive HR, payroll, benefits, and insurance platform, Humi has established a leadership position as the only company addressing all of these needs in one place. With a potential reach spanning every business in Canada, and a platform that touches every employee at every business that uses it, Humi is reimagining the future of work.
Humi is backed by the same group who funded Slack, Carta, and more (Tribe Capital), the top value-based U.S. accelerator (Y-Combinator), as well as several of the world’s leading angel investors.
We’re hiring across Canada and are open to applicants who prefer to work remotely!
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce, representative of the communities we serve and beyond. We encourage, and are pleased to consider, applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/persons of colour, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who contribute towards promoting innovative ideas and solutions.
What will you do as a Senior Software Engineer?
From day one, you'll dive into the fintech space as part of our cross-functional squads, focusing on our flagship Payroll Product. This product, central to our fintech offerings, deals with large-scale money movement and payroll services. You will work on a Rails-based API, collaborating with our DevOps, SecOps, Platform and other Payroll engineers to deliver robust financial solutions.
Your role involves:
Scaling and Innovating: As a senior member, you'll play a key role in scaling our fintech payroll solutions, mentoring junior members, and contributing to the development of a world-class HR platform with a strong emphasis on secure, efficient money movement.
Ownership and Leadership: You'll take ownership of fintech-focused features, guiding other developers in code design and implementation, and influencing the Engineering team's culture and best practices with a fintech lens.
Expanding Impact: You will have autonomy to explore broader goals with your manager and extending your expertise beyond the squad's main responsibilities, encompassing various aspects of fintech and payroll at scale.
In your first 30 days, you will:
- Participate in Humi’s immersive onboarding program to learn about all aspects of the business while meeting with cross-functional collaborators
- Work with your manager to build out tailored goals and an education plan in place to set you in the right direction for the upcoming quarter
- Deep dive on your squad's problem space and start becoming familiar with the many areas that compose Payroll, like Tax engine, Accounting software integrations, and the Payroll core
In your first 60 days, you will:
- Take full ownership of small features and quick wins within your squad, from scoping to implementation
- Help more intermediate developers within code design and decision making
- Contribute to the Engineering team's culture, processes, and best practices
In your first 90 days, you will:
- Start assuming more autonomy and finding small ways to practice ownership across the platform
- Work closely with your Manager to explore goals for the rest of the year
- Deep dive on other parts of the application outside of the squad's main responsibilities
What are we looking for in a Senior Software Engineer?
- Experience working with RubyOnRails or similar frameworks like Django
- Particularly interested in diving into technical debt and presenting a plan to tackle it.
- Is experienced in taking abstract business problems and driving collaboration between team members to find an optimal technical solution.
- Is curious about new technologies and presenting them to the group as they notice places where they can be beneficial.
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Is particularly interested in building processes, tooling and best practices for the team to help us mature as an engineering organization.
- Bonus: Experience working with Angular 2.0+, ReactJS or VueJs
Why join Humi?
- As a team that services the HR world, we are a team that understands you perform best in an environment that cares about their employees
- Be part of a high performing team of critical thinkers that thrive on problem solving
- Access leadership and growth opportunities as the company rapidly scales
- Maintain work-life engagement with flex hours and our Long(er) weekends initiative
- Opportunity to work fully remote across Canada if you choose to
As previously stated, we are not actively hiring and interviewing yet, but hope to be hiring in early 2024! Unfortunately we won't be able to get back to all candidates within a timely matter, but should an opportunity arise in the future and your profile is a fit, we will be sure to reach out.
Please note that all successful candidates will only receive offers through the Humi platform and we do not issue offers outside of our platform. We do not make any offers of employment via social media. Please see our resource library for the best ways to detect fraud and fraudulent activity.