Manager, Business Operations
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2023
Are you looking to be part of a team that collaborates with every department within an organization? Do you have a passion for tackling complex business challenges and spearheading high-impact projects?
As a member of the Business Operations team at Humi, you'll play a central role in optimizing critical workflows, leading cross-departmental projects, and fostering strong stakeholder relationships. With a strong emphasis on data-driven decision-making and effective collaboration, we value leaders who can drive organizational alignment in a fast paced work environment.
If this resonates with you, we want to hear from you. Join us on this exciting journey of operational excellence.
Who are we?
Humi’s mission is to help organizations throughout Canada foster their greatest asset – their employees. Starting with a powerful yet intuitive HR, payroll, benefits, and insurance platform, Humi has established a leadership position as the only company addressing all of these needs in one place. With a potential reach spanning every business in Canada, and a platform that touches every employee at every business that uses it, Humi is reimagining the future of work.
Humi is backed by the same group who funded Slack, Carta, and more (Tribe Capital), the top value-based U.S. accelerator (Y-Combinator), as well as several of the world’s leading angel investors.
We’re hiring across Canada and are open to applicants who prefer to work remotely!
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce, representative of the communities we serve and beyond. We encourage, and are pleased to consider, applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/persons of colour, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ+ persons, and others who contribute towards promoting innovative ideas and solutions.
What will you be doing as a Business Operations Manager?
- Project Management: In this role, you will be responsible for managing multiple projects, from planning to execution, within specified timelines.
- Data Driven Decision Making: In collaboration with our Data and Analytics team, you'll not only need to be comfortable understanding and manipulating large datasets but you’ll need to harness the data to generate actionable insights and strategic recommendations.
- Stakeholder Management: It is key that you are able to effectively engage and collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders, across all parts of the business, in order to drive project success and foster strong relationships.
- Manage Operational Changes: In this role, you'll lead change initiatives, ensuring a smooth implementation and securing buy-in for organizational improvements.
- Ownership of Tooling: The Operations team plays a pivotal role in configuring and sustaining the key applications utilized by teams within the organization. As a member of the Business Operations team, you'll be expected to have an in-depth understanding of these tools, the established workflows and their integrations.
In your first 30 days, you will:
- Familiarize yourself with Humi’s company, culture and values.
- Dive into our current business processes and tools to understand how Humi operates and the key workflows across different teams.
- Shadow key members of the Operations team, participate in regular meetings, and forge connections with teams across the organization to understand the collaborative essence of our projects.
- Connect with key stakeholders across the organization to start building relationships and better understand their team, processes, priorities and challenges
In your first 60 days, you will:
- Start to lead to projects involving stakeholders outside of the Operations team. The expectation is that at this point you will be comfortable leading the execution of projects with support around business context.
- Become familiar with Humi’s data infrastructure, including the key applications and workflows used by teams. At this point you should have a good foundation of the key reporting dashboards and source data, including any limitations.
- Establish regular communication with key stakeholders to understand their team composition, priorities, challenges and expectations in order to identify projects to add to the Operations project pipeline.
In your first 90 days, you will:
- Play a role in identifying and adding strategic projects to the Operations team's pipeline to drive growth or to create operational efficiencies.
- Establish yourself as a go to person for key stakeholders to flag challenges and projects that require the Operations team’s support.
- Develop an understanding of Humi’s business to the extent that you’ll be able to provide essential context stakeholders, ensuring alignment with organizational objectives.
- Establish a collaborative relationship with other team members, and provide insight and share knowledge when appropriate
In your first year, you will:
- Work closely with Humi’s leadership team to stay aligned to company objectives and to provide context based on projects that you’ve led throughout the year.
- Take on more prominent leadership roles within the Operations team, independently driving larger projects and influencing key business decisions based on your insights.
- Play a pivotal role in team collaboration and development, with the goal of levelling up the impact of the Operations Team.
What are we looking for in a Business Operations Manager?
- Project & Stakeholder Management: A proven track record of strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects and stakeholders, in a Business Operations capacity.
- Business Acumen: A profound comprehension of the SaaS business model, encompassing key performance metrics, revenue streams, and a comprehensive awareness of the broader market landscape.
- Collaboration Skills: Strong communication skills, enabling seamless collaboration with diverse teams, with the ability to manage and align differing stakeholders priorities.
- Strategic Alignment: Strategic thinker with the capability to align operational initiatives with the company's overarching objectives.
- Technical Proficiency: Hands-on expertise with SaaS business tools, including HubSpot, Zendesk, Airtable, and Stripe.
- Process Optimization: Proven expertise in process improvement and the ability to identify opportunities to increase revenue, efficiency and productivity.
- Education: Bachelor's degree with a major in Business Administration, Operations Management or another relevant degree or the equivalent industry experience.
- Experience: 5+ years of relevant industry experience in a Business Operations role. Experience working for a SaaS or an HRIS organization would be a plus.
Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Leading & Mentorship: 2+ years of experience leading teams with experience mentoring and coaching junior team members
- Revenue Operations: Experience establishing a revenue operations team for a growing SaaS organization.
- Data and Analytics: Experience querying and manipulating large data sets to provide business insights and to influence business decisions. An understanding of SQL would be considered an asset.
Why join Humi?
- As a team that services the HR world, we are a team that understands you perform best in an environment that cares about their employees
- Be part of a high performing team of critical thinkers that thrive on problem solving
- Access leadership and growth opportunities as the company rapidly scales
- Maintain work-life engagement with flex hours and our Long(er) weekends initiative
- Opportunity to work fully remote across Canada if you choose to
Please note that all successful candidates will only receive offers through the Humi platform and we do not issue offers outside of our platform. We do not make any offers of employment via social media. Please see our resource library for the best ways to detect fraud and fraudulent activity.