Senior Technical Product Manager
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
Over the last seven years, Humi has built a very special foundation. We are Canada’s leading and fastest growing people technology platform. Our platform touches tens of thousands of lives every day, moves billions of dollars, and supports thousands of businesses in achieving their goals.
The opportunities to extend into the depths of the employer and employee ecosystem, both locally and globally, are almost endless. Few platforms will offer this type of reach and impact.
As a Senior Technical Product Manager at Humi, you will come into a high trust environment, where you will have autonomy to own your roadmap and will guide a cross-functional squad through the development of complex features, working with others to make tradeoff decisions, prioritize the right things, and ensure we are shipping extremely high-quality products. You will work closely with a cross-functional team of Engineers, UX, and Marketers as well as customers to define, build, and launch mission-critical initiatives.
You should be a team player, natural leader, and consistent influencer in regards to the "why" and the "what" of your area of focus. You will constantly strive for domain expertise by immersing yourself in the Payroll space.
Humi is an all-in-one solution product with a hub and spoke modular product with this role focused on our Payroll product. We're looking for someone who has a strong interest in building tools that help growing companies take care of their people.
Who are we?
Humi’s mission is to help organizations throughout Canada foster their greatest asset – their employees. Starting with a powerful yet intuitive HR, payroll, and benefits platform, Humi has established a leadership position as the only company addressing all of these needs in one place. With a potential reach spanning every business in Canada, and a platform that touches every employee at every business that uses it, Humi is reimagining the future of work.
Humi is backed by the same group who funded Slack, Carta, and more (Tribe Capital), the top value-based U.S. accelerator (Y-Combinator), as well as several of the world’s leading angel investors.
We’re hiring across Canada and are open to applicants who prefer to work remotely!
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce, representative of the communities we serve and beyond. We encourage and are pleased to consider applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/persons of colour, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ+ persons, and others who contribute towards promoting innovative ideas and solutions.
What will you be doing as a Senior Technical Product Manager?
- You will be responsible for product ownership, including backlog grooming, triage and prioritization, and cross-functional coordination
- You will be defining the scope of development for new product features and ongoing feature enhancements including all management of backlog and development activities
- You will write and prioritize epics, user stories, and define acceptance criteria
- You will establish and maintain a high level of credibility with internal and external stakeholders
- You will leverage your analytical ability to back your decisions with data
- You will effectively use data and analytics layered against high-quality user research to inform the direction of the product line
- You will be responsible for tracking progress, assessing risks, coordinating delivery, and actively communicate contingency and mitigation plans for the team
- You will run various ad-hoc research and business analyses to assess opportunities and risks
In the first 30 days, you will:
- Onboard and integrate into the Humi Product team
- Become acquainted with your product area, the product goals, and those you will work closely with
- Independently start to study and learn the Humi product suite
- Independently start to build a knowledge base and domain expertise within the Payroll domain
- Talk with customers to build knowledge and empathy toward our users
In the first 60 days, you will:
- Immerse yourself in our product development and build process
- Work cross-functionally and with product leadership to organize and prioritize your high-level roadmap and backlog
- Start working closely with your development team to understand requirements
- Take over and begin leading in-flight and planned initiatives
In the first 90 days, you will:
- Fully support a product area, working with product leadership to complete quarterly planning including roadmap and metrics
- Fully own roadmap planning for the swim lanes within your product squad
- Ship features that deliver high business impact
- Be fully embedded into and owning a development team
- Monitor and measure the success of your initiatives against company goals
- Continuously improve your team’s practice and processes
In the first year you will:
- Work with product leadership to discover new product opportunities for your backlog
- Develop a repeatable model for delivering upon your roadmap initiatives
- Work with other product managers to measure and refine your roadmap, backlog, and processes to make improvements over time
- Constantly re-evaluate your roadmap’s alignment with the strategic goals of the business, adjusting where necessary
- Deliver on your roadmap priorities and promises
- Ensure your team has an incredible record of building impactful products in a timely and elegant fashion
- Have worked cross-functionally to scale your team to meet the growing needs of our business and our users
- Ship product that directly supports the success of our company objectives
What are we looking for in a Senior Technical Product Manager?
- 4+ years of Product Management experience, including 1+ year of SaaS Product Management experience
- Ability to shape highly technical needs into elegant solutions for our customers and partners
- Ability to influence others through leadership and strong communications skills
- Ability to keep up in a fast-paced and pivot in a dynamic environment
- Ability to analyze data as well as to conduct research through various discussions with customers and teammates
- Ability to create wireframes and user flows to articulate ideas to product designers
- Detail-oriented with a high bar for quality when writing user stories, reviewing designs, brainstorming technical approaches, and testing a feature before it is released
- Be humble, willing to learn, and do whatever is needed to help your team members to accomplish the team goals
- Experience using agile development methodologies with globally distributed teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You must be a world-class individual contributor and team player to thrive at Humi
Nice to haves
- You have a passion for payroll tech or fintech space
- You've worked in a cross-functional team previously where you and your squad took ownership of the success of an area of focus
- Previous technical experience working in a product capacity
Why join the Humi Team?
- As a team that services the Payroll world, we are a team that understands you perform best in an environment that cares about their employees
- Be part of a high performing team of critical thinkers that thrive on problem solving
- Access leadership and personalized growth opportunities as the company rapidly scales
- Maintain work-life harmony with flex hours and our Long(er) weekends initiative
- Opportunity to work fully remote anywhere across Canada if you choose to
Please note that all successful candidates will only receive offers through the Humi platform and we do not issue offers outside of our platform. We do not make any offers of employment via social media. Please see our resource library for the best ways to detect fraud and fraudulent activity.