Staff Software Developer, DevOps
We’re looking for a Staff Software Developer, DevOps who can help us to scale and optimize our cloud platform to improve its reliability and resiliency. You will design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance our cloud platform solutions. You’ll be working with diverse technical and non-technical groups to align the technical vision and drive the delivery. While working remotely or in a hybrid work arrangement, a blend of virtual (in accordance with Hootsuite’s distributed workforce strategy), or in Hootsuite’s Vancouver or Toronto office, you will report to Senior Director, Production Operations & Delivery.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Design and build our compute and delivery platform for large scale technical projects
- Identify and implement new platform features
- Research and provide technical analysis of new technologies
- Scaling and optimizing the platform so it’s reliable and resilient
- Enable development teams
- Provide executable interfaces to our compute and delivery platform
- Building ancillary developer tools and provide best practices to accelerate the adoption of our compute and delivery platform
- Supervising and overseeing the technical aspects of projects. This includes architecture validation, gatekeeping code quality, validating the choice of tools/framework and ensuring implementation meets cross functional requirements (scalability, reliability, documentation etc.)
- Mentor, advise and provide training, technical guidance and priorities to the team
- Provide creative solutions to complex problems. Build efficient processes, systems, and software in collaboration with internal stakeholders and technical team across the organization
- Communicate by writing documentation, participating in meetings, and sharing your work at demos
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Extensive relevant experience in a software engineering role and a track record of substantial contributions to software projects with high business impact
- Experience in building and maintaining DevOps automation and tooling to improve the development experience and speed up development, testing and release
- Experience with Linux distributions and a thorough understanding of operating system fundamentals and microservice architecture
- Experience with Public cloud platforms - AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure
- Experience with infrastructure testing
- Experience collaborating cross-functionally to build systems, create processes, and facilitate development efforts that enable other engineers to be more productive
- Experience as an active participant in technical / developer communities, open-source projects, or similar developer groups, and presenting/speaking at technology conferences/hackathons/webinars
- Ability to interact with diverse technical and non-technical groups, spanning all organizational levels, and to deal with ambiguity and thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- Experience with mentoring, coaching, and pairing with coworkers
- Ability to plan, articulate and gain organizational alignment on a technical vision
- Ability to stay on top of technical direction/frameworks beyond Hootsuite and advocate for their adoption at Hootsuite
- Open Communication: clearly conveys thoughts, both written and verbally, listening attentively and asking questions for clarification and understanding
- Decision Making: consistently chooses the best course of action (from a number of alternatives) to address business problems and/or opportunities
- Influence: Asserts own ideas and persuades others, gaining support and commitment and mobilizing people to take action
- Collaboration and Teamwork: works with others to deliver results, meaningfully contributing to the team and prioritizing group needs over individual needs
- Resilience, Tolerance for Change/Ambiguity: can effectively cope with change, finding ways to advance work and projects
WHO YOU ARE:
- Tenacious. You are determined to succeed, and you are motivated by the success of customers, colleagues and the community.
- Curious. You are always learning and seeking ways to make things better.
- Conscientious. You keep your promises, taking your commitments to others seriously, and you have strong integrity.
- Humble. You lead with humility and empathy, respecting and learning from the perspectives of others.
In all we do, our six guiding principles light the way:
Step Up: Show the world what it looks like to live and work by these guiding principles. #StepUp
One Team: Make Hootsuite a place where everyone feels safe, welcome, valued, and empowered to do their best work without compromising who they are. #OneTeam #FreeToBeMe
Customer Obsessed: Focus relentlessly on helping our customers succeed. #CustomerObsessed
Go Fast, Be Agile: Widen our competitive advantage by committing to speed and simplicity over perfection and complexity. #GoFastBeAgile
Play to Win: Commit to building an incredible, profitable company for our customers, our employees, and our stakeholders. #PlayToWin #NoExcuses
Neighbours & Allies: Give back to our communities and be an ally. #SocialForGood #Allies
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.