Junior Software Developer, Backend
We’re looking for a Junior Backend Software Developer, Backend who can design, build, test, and ship high quality software that delivers value to our customers. You'll work on a small and agile team, learning how to refine and improve the products that we deliver through continuous feedback and collaboration. Your team will own the entire delivery lifecycle from beta releases to production ready, scalable products suitable for new and existing customers. While working in a hybrid work arrangement, a blend of virtual (in accordance with Hootsuite’s distributed workforce strategy), and in Hootsuite’s Bucharest office, you will report to Manager, Software Development.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Work within a cross-functional team (including designers, product managers, architects and other developers), learning best practices and delivering compelling products and services to our customers
- Write, test and deploy high quality scalable code.
- Assist with the implementation of our technical roadmap as we scale our services and build new products.
- Maintain standards of security, reliability, performance, and quality.
- Participate in code reviews, and apply software development best practices.
- Learn from the expertise of your peers and work-out-loud to share your experiences internally and within our community.
- Work with the following technologies: MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Redis, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, GRPC
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- A degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or proven experience developing and maintaining software (including co-op terms and internships).
- You are proficient in at least one programming language, ideally Go or Python, and have a desire to learn other languages.
- You have been a solid contributor in technical project teams either in a post secondary or work setting.
- Knowledge of best practices to ensure high-quality code (i.e. automated tests)
- Open Communication: clearly conveys thoughts, both written and verbally, listening attentively and asking questions for clarification and understanding
- Collaboration and Teamwork: works with others to deliver results, meaningfully contributing to the team and prioritizing group needs over individual needs
- Self Development: is personally committed to, and actively works to continuously improve
- Perseverance: pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish—doesn’t give up
WHO YOU ARE:
- Tenacious. You are determined to succeed, and you are motivated by the success of customers, colleagues, and the community.
- Curious. You are always learning and seeking ways to make things better.
- Conscientious. You keep your promises, taking your commitments to others seriously, and you have strong integrity.
- Humble. You lead with humility and empathy, respecting and learning from the perspectives of others.
In all we do, our six guiding principles light the way:
Step Up: Show the world what it looks like to live and work by these guiding principles. #StepUp
One Team: Make Hootsuite a place where everyone feels safe, welcome, valued, and empowered to do their best work without compromising who they are. #OneTeam #FreeToBeMe
Customer Obsessed: Focus relentlessly on helping our customers succeed. #CustomerObsessed
Go Fast, Be Agile: Widen our competitive advantage by committing to speed and simplicity over perfection and complexity. #GoFastBeAgile
Play to Win: Commit to building an incredible, profitable company for our customers, our employees, and our stakeholders. #PlayToWin #NoExcuses
Neighbours & Allies: Give back to our communities and be an ally. #SocialForGood #Allies
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.