Senior Full-Stack Software Developer
Our engineering team owns the code and infra that lets our customers do powerful things with our product, simply and intuitively. We care about delivering the right product iterations quickly - we build minimum viable products, deploy to production multiple times per day, listen to customer feedback, and iterate.
At Hive, we ingest high-volume data in real-time from 20+ integrations (like Ticketmaster and Shopify), we store and query billions of customer data points, and we send 100MM+ of email/SMS every month to our client’s customers. We’ve built a growing, profitable business and the scale of technical problems we’re solving is quickly growing too!
Our small but mighty engineering team needs your help and experience! We’re building the core of our team right now that will support our growth in the not-so-distant future. You’ll be #4 on our engineering team and help us grow to ~10 engineers (and our company to ~40 people) in the next 12 months.
There won’t be an opportunity to join our company this early ever again!
We’re looking for someone who’s passionate about building and shipping software - we want to hear why you're excited about Hive, what impact you want to have, and how we can help you make that happen.
What a typical week may look like at Hive:
- Fully own new features that you choose to build - based directly on customer needs and input from team members
- Brainstorm and architect ways to solve scaling problems as usage continues to grow (quickly!)
- Build out internal tooling, iterate on development processes, and advocate for new technologies to help our small team continue to punch above our weight class
- Work directly with our customer success team to solve customer-impacting problems
- Help us hire, onboard, ramp, and mentor new team members as our engineering team continues to grow
- We built a state-based pipeline to send 10MM+ personalized emails and SMS every day.
- We built a simple UI to let our clients easily query their own customer data. Behind the scenes, it executes queries against billions of data points across different types of databases and combines the results together in seconds.
- Using Kubernetes and Docker, we re-built our background task processing system (which runs billions of jobs every day). Our processing capacity scales based on workload - which means things execute faster for our clients, we save loads of money on idle servers, and our engineers can sleep at night.
- You’ve spent 5+ years building production-grade products that you’re proud of, as part of an effective product/engineering team
- You’re able to clearly explain complex things you’ve built to others, identifying tradeoffs you made and the hard problems you had to solve.
- You’ve seen the inner workings of how software is made by a team on a shared codebase - you can articulate what communication, development processes and tooling you do/don’t find effective and why.
- You've thrived while working on a semi or fully-remote team (communicate effectively async, work independently, know when to ask for help, self-manage your time and effort). You can articulate your preferred communication & working style to your teammates.
- You have 5+ years of hands-on experience building production-grade web applications using frontend and backend frameworks
- You have 5+ years of hands-on experience modeling, storing, querying data in various types of databases (relational, non-relational, key-value)
- You have 5+ years of hands-on experience interacting with 3rd party APIs (REST, GraphQL) and data sources
- You might have a great CompSci or Engineering degree, or something else, or you dropped out, or you didn't even go to school - our team is made up of all kinds of smart people!
Technologies we use & teach
- Frontend: React, Redux, Typescript
- Backend: Python, Django
- Databases: Redis, MySQL, MongoDB, Elasticsearch
- Infra: AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform
- Experience with these is a plus, but we know smart people are quick learners!
- Meaningful salary and equity: you're rewarded based on impact
- Work fully remote in Canada: wherever you're happiest & productive
- Flexible work hours: miminal meetings and no 9-5
- Health & Dental coverage
- Unlimited vacation/PTO: so you can be happy and healthy!
Hive is an email and SMS marketing CRM used by brands to personalize and automate their campaigns. We pride ourselves on helping brands understand their email and SMS marketing, all while selling more and keeping their customers engaged.
We integrate with tech partners like Ticketmaster and Shopify to let brands act on all their data, so they can easily segment their list in thousands of ways, and send more customized, timely email campaigns that land in inboxes.
We started our company inside a University of Waterloo computer lab in early 2014, graduated from Y Combinator that summer (S14 batch) and have been growing ever since. Originally based in Kitchener, our team is now 100% remote and located all across Canada! We strive to provide an online work environment that allows team members to have a strong work life balance while still feeling connected to their team and Hive’s mission.
To learn more about our team check out our About Us page on our website: https://www.hive.co/company