Senior Software Engineer
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2023
About Lillio (formerly HiMama) and Our Mission:
At Lillio, we believe that early childhood educators have the power to change children’s lives and ultimately, the world. We are a social purpose business and certified B Corporation that seeks to inspire the early childhood workforce by equipping them with the resources they need to deliver impactful experiences. We partner with the field to elevate the quality of early learning programs through innovative product design, high-quality content, meaningful opportunities for professional growth, and support for thoughtful engagement with families. If you are excited about being part of a scaling tech company focused on making a difference in a deeply important industry, Lillio is the place for you!
Our products are used and loved by millions!
Key Product Stats
500 Million Moments, with 300 push notifications being sent per second
500 Thousand Users, with a new User being added every minute
Lillio’s product can be easily visualized in three distinct parts:
Teachers - For early childhood educators, Lillio is an in-classroom tool for daily documentation, learning & development recording and planning, and communication with parents.
Administrators - For preschool owners/directors, Lillio is a back-office tool for monitoring center activity, administrative reporting, collecting tuition payments, and communicating with parents.
Parents - For families, Lillio is a direct window into their child’s life at daycare: Everything from meal details to photos to learning milestones. And of course, a direct line of communication to their child care center.
We bring all three products together to empower preschool teachers to connect with parents and engage them in children’s learning and development, and help owners streamline running their business. This means you'll also be looking to make an impact on the world beyond dollars and cents– working with a social enterprise you will personally have the opportunity to improve outcomes for tens of thousands of children in Canada, the U.S., and abroad.
At Lillio, our Product & Engineering teams are a tight-knit unit. By using strong product creation methodologies and processes, and by working closely together, we imagine and create great products that immediately make an impact in the lives of millions of educators, parents, and young children.
The engineering team at Lillio is made up of full stack web engineers as well as multi-platform mobile experts. Every individual on the engineering team has the opportunity to make a big impact on growing the Lillio product offering with a wide and varied feature set as well as impacting how Lillio builds and delivers that product. From feature enhancements to the core product, ground-up engineering on brand-new architecture, data scaling, and system performance on Android, iOS and web-based applications, our team does it ALL. Engineering at Lillio requires being an adept problem solver that is hard working and motivated to get stuff done.
What You'll Be Doing
- Develop high performance code for web-based applications using Ruby on Rails, GraphQL and React
- Take point on designing feature architecture by closely collaborating with Product and fellow developers
- Independent research and selection of best tools / methods of implementation to solve problems
- Mentor less experienced engineers. Leverage your knowledge and experience to help level up your team
- Collaborate with Product and Design teams on the best way to solve problems.
- Opportunity to work in mobile development (ReactNative)
- Opportunity to contribute to product strategy / vision and user experience if interested
What We're Looking For
- Agile, competent programmer and problem solver
- Strong communicator who enjoys collaborating with teammates
- Knowledgeable about newest trends and best practices
- Ambition to work hard in order to make an impact
- Evidence of independence and self-starter attitude
- Propensity to always want to learn and improve
- Strong sense of empathy not only for the user but others that you work with
- Predisposition for collaboration with team mates as a problem solving approach
- Bachelor’s degree, from an accredited University or equivalent experience
Required Technical Skills
- 5+ years as a software developer
- 3+ years developing in Ruby/Python (or similar)
- 3+ years working with relational databases
- Experience with GraphQL / React a plus
Don’t have all the requirements but convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you!
• Flexible working arrangements, with the option to work fully remotely & option to work from a co-working space in 2024
• Health benefits package includes medical, dental and vision
• Paid time off, including vacation, personal days, paid sick days, and paid volunteer days
• Opportunities for learning, mentorship and professional development
• Ongoing team-wide and company-wide virtual social activities and success celebrations, including in person gatherings 1-4 times a year
Lillio is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. If you require accommodations at any step of the application or interview process, please indicate so under the "Accommodations Question" box on your application. Accommodations may include but are not limited to: alternative methods of communication, providing a detailed “what to expect”, or modified testing. Please note this list is not exhaustive and we are more than happy to discuss other accommodations as required. If you have questions about Lillio's accommodation process, connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging are central to Lillio's core values. Lillio aims to ensure we provide a safe environment for everyone to thrive while bringing their authentic selves to work. Our mission is to promote an inclusive work space for all employees through Education, Discussion, and Celebration of our differences. Embracing these differences while coming together with a common purpose is what makes our team extra special. Our focus on inclusion and belonging is activated in the day-to-day culture at Lillio through our Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging (DIBS) committee, our bi-weekly DIBS discussions, DIBS Slack community, D&I training and education, volunteer days, donation matching, and more.