Director, People Operations
People & HR, Operations
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2023
About HiMama and Our Mission:
HiMama is improving learning outcomes for children aged zero to five. We are a social purpose business and certified B Corporation that connects families with the early childhood professionals who serve them. Our goal is to empower early childhood educators with affordable tools that enable them to improve developmental outcomes for the children they work with, while educating parents about the importance of their work. If you are excited about being part of a high-growth tech company focused on making a difference in a highly impactful industry, HiMama is the place for you!
The Director, People Operations is responsible for leading all people-related functions at HIMama, including talent acquisition, culture & employee experience, HR operations, talent management, and organization development. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will be responsible for serving as a strategic business partner to the HiMama management team, advising on a range of people topics, and determining & executing opportunities to drive a high-performance culture. The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong functional expertise in people operations, a strategic mindset that allows for true business partnership, and an ability to connect with team members at all levels across the organization.
Note that we are open to both Director- and VP-level candidates for this position.
What you’ll be doing:
- Partner with our senior leadership and management teams to ensure alignment between each department’s business goals and People Operations, bringing a solutions-oriented, collaborative approach to solving problems
- Design, build, and execute people programs and policies to ensure continued development, engagement and retention of the HiMama team
- Develop a fulsome talent acquisition strategy and hiring plan to attract high-performing, diverse talent to HiMama
- Serve as leader of culture and engagement, ensuring all HiMama team members understand our mission and values, and develop internal communications channels to embed these each day
- Build and execute a comprehensive compensation and benefits approach that supports the acquisition and retention of top talent
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulatory and legal frameworks, including the Employment Standards Act
- Serve as a sponsor for HiMama’s Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging agenda, ensuring an inclusive culture and equitable experience for people of all backgrounds
- Own the B Corporation certification process and other social impact initiatives and metrics
- Leverage data and systems thinking to optimize people processes and guide decisions with respect to hiring, talent development programs, and retention
- Manage the people and corporate overhead operating budgets, including employee salaries and benefits, and all departmental costs
- Manage, mentor, and develop a team of high-performing talent acquisition and human resources professionals
What you bring to our team:
- 7+ years of People-related experience with broad exposure to various People functions; 4+ years of experience in a leadership role
- Experience building and scaling people programs, including talent acquisition, compensation, and talent management
- Deep knowledge of Canadian employment standards and labor laws; experience with US employment laws and regulations an asset
- Expertise in building strong business partnerships with senior leadership teams
- Strong business acumen, and an ability to draw connections between business priorities and people operations programs to support
- Strong leadership skills; high emotional intelligence and strong communication skills that allow for deep connections across the company
- Experience leading, motivating, and inspiring a team of talent acquisition and human resources professionals
- CHRP (or equivalent) designation an asset, but not required
Don’t have all the requirements but convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you!
• Flexible working arrangements, with the option to work from our vibrant downtown Toronto office or work remotely
• Health benefits package includes medical, dental and vision
• Paid time off, including vacation, personal days, paid sick days, and paid volunteer days
• Opportunities for learning, mentorship and professional development
• Ongoing team-wide and company-wide virtual social activities and success celebrations
HiMama is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. If you require accommodations at any step of the application or interview process, please indicate so under the "Accommodations Question" box on your application. Accommodations may include but are not limited to: alternative methods of communication, providing a detailed “what to expect”, or modified testing. Please note this list is not exhaustive and we are more than happy to discuss other accommodations as required. If you have questions about HiMama's accommodation process, connect with us at email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging are central to HiMama's core values. HiMama aims to ensure we provide a safe environment for everyone to thrive while bringing their authentic selves to work. Our mission is to promote an inclusive work space for all employees through Education, Discussion, and Celebration of our differences. Embracing these differences while coming together with a common purpose is what makes our team extra special. Our focus on inclusion and belonging is activated in the day-to-day culture at HiMama through our Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging (DIBS) committee, our bi-weekly DIBS discussions, DIBS Slack community, D&I training and education, volunteer days, donation matching, and more.