AI Engineering Manager
Software Engineering, Other Engineering, Data Science
Oakville, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
Who we are:
Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Who you are:
We are always looking for amazing talent who can contribute to our growth and deliver results! Geotab is seeking a AI Engineering Manager who will lead the development of cutting-edge generative AI capabilities. Focused on large language models (LLMs), AI agents, and generative AI technologies, this role is central to driving innovation and shaping the future of our AI systems by overseeing the development and implementation of cutting-edge AI solutions. If you love technology, and are keen to join an industry leader — we would love to hear from you!
What you’ll do:
As a AI Engineering Manager your key area of responsibility will be t offer strategic oversight and guidance to the AI Engineering team, establishing and actioning project priorities in line with company objectives and resource allocation. You will need to work closely with stakeholders and engage in interdisciplinary meetings to capture diverse needs and transform them into compelling AI-focused engineering endeavors that advance the team’s capabilities.
To be successful in this role you will Articulate the strategic direction and vision for the AI Engineering team, distilling complex AI concepts into actionable strategies aligned with executive goals. In addition, the successful candidate will have strong analytical and project management skills with an ability to identify needs, develop effective solutions, and manage projects through completion. The successful candidate will also be able to manage multiple timelines and contrasting priorities to ensure timely results.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Offer strategic oversight and guidance to the AI Engineering team, establishing and actioning project priorities in line with company objectives and resource allocation.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to define, implement, and manage the AI technology development lifecycle, providing insights on LLMs, AI agents, and generative AI design and engineering practices.
- Validate the engineering quality and performance of AI models and frameworks, ensuring compliance with our high standards for reliability and efficiency.
- Lead and mentor the team in exploring and integrating advanced generative AI methodologies, ensuring continuous innovation and skill growth within the team.
- Engage in interdisciplinary meetings to capture diverse needs and transform them into compelling AI-focused engineering endeavors that advance the team’s capabilities.
- Articulate the strategic direction and vision for the AI Engineering team, distilling complex AI concepts into actionable strategies aligned with executive goals.
- Spearhead the design and prototype of new AI-driven products and technology innovations.
- Participate in the design and development of new product ideas, concepts, prototypes, and proofs of concept.
- Implement rigorous testing and validation processes to ensure the accuracy and reliability of AI models.
- Act as a project leader and subject matter expert, driving AI initiatives forward with expert knowledge and strategic insight.
- Cultivate a team culture that resonates with Geotab’s mission, vision, and values, fostering an innovative and inclusive work environment. Manage the performance of direct reports by providing proactive direction, coaching, mentorship, and development opportunities.
- Responsible for overall group staffing needs and work with the VP on resource planning and provide forecasting numbers for anticipated net new hires.
- Work with product managers, and generative AI advocates to help build a platform to support our external and internal needs, as well as to define goals and deliverables.
- Contribute to the development of the overall Gen AI roadmap at Geotab
What you’ll bring to this role:
- Approximately 10+ years experience in software development and/or data science, with a significant focus on AI systems and technologies.
- 5-8 years of experience in leading and nurturing AI engineering teams.
- Post-secondary Degree/Diploma specialization in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- Demonstrable leadership skills within a collaborative workplace environment.
- Experience with generative AI, LLMs, and AI agent development, showcasing a portfolio of complex AI projects preferred.
- Excellent project management acumen, with a history of developing and realizing AI solutions from inception to deployment.
- Compelling communication abilities, comfortable with both written documentation and oral presentations across various organizational levels.
- Committed to engaging with the latest AI technologies and methodologies, with the adaptability needed for a rapidly evolving tech landscape.
- Track record of mentoring employees, fostering professional growth, and cultivating top-tier engineering talent.
- Analytical problem-solving skills, enabling astute decision-making in both strategic and technical AI contexts.
- A forward-thinking strategist who is adept at adjusting to market and technology changes.
- Staying abreast of the latest advancements in AI and machine learning technologies.
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role! Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Please note: Geotab does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Geotab employees.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Flex working arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Baby bonus & parental leave top up program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits
Retirement savings program
*The above are offered to full-time permanent employees only
How we work:
At Geotab, we have adopted a flexible first working model in that we have systems, functions, programs and policies in place to support both in-person and virtual work. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come into our beautiful, safe, clean offices as often as you like. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Virtual work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.