Senior Team Lead, Data Operations Development
People & HR, Operations
Oakville, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, February 1, 2024
Who we are:
Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Who you are:
We are always looking for amazing talent who can contribute to our growth and deliver results! Geotab is seeking a Data Operations Development Team Lead to lead core Data Ops activities. You are highly organized and are able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Also a strong team-player with the ability to engage with all levels of the organization. If you love technology, and are keen to join a data driven company — we would love to hear from you!
What you'll do:
The Data Ops Development Team Lead is responsible for leading a technical team of data engineers to reduce time-to-insight and ensure up-time of our data products. This position partners with the Data Ops Technical Project Manager to own the technical component of the Data Ops roadmap. The role is accountable for managing the work allocation and ensuring the definition of done for our roadmap is feasible from a technical perspective. This position also partners with the Data Strategist to ensure all Data Ops practices follow Data Management guidelines.
Location: Oakville, Toronto or Waterloo (Ontario, Canada)
How you'll make an impact:
- Manage team expectations with regards to task assignments, work arrangements and data product priorities.
- Provide encouragement to team members, including communicating team goals and identifying areas for new training or skill checks.
- Work with stakeholders throughout Geotab and TPM to ensure work allocation has a feasible definition of done from a technical perspective.
- Prepare detailed technical design of software components and systems architecture based requirements, and prepare all related documentation.
- Ensure technical expertise is available within the team to provide expert project leadership and guidance to team members as needed
- Ensure all pipelines follow a well-defined SDLC through Git and CI/CD
- Contribute to technical implementation of pipelines as needed
- Perform quality assurance analysis by performing peer review, ensuring coding standards are followed, looking for logic errors, and other bugs.
- Analyze call stacks, trace files, and performance data to troubleshoot and identify root cause of bugs.
- Actively participate in design discussions and document requirements and technical design of data engineering solutions.
- Participate in a 24x7 on-call rotating schedule (if applicable)
- Assist with the development and maintenance of data engineering guidelines, policies, standards and processes.
- Support remediation of issues within production pipelines and data products
- Provide expert project leadership and guidance to the team as SME.
- Oversee the activities and performance of direct reports:
- Engage in the development of the team by coaching, providing feedback, identifying areas of growth, and training opportunities.
- Collaborate and support employees during the performance management process, meeting KPAs, and career development planning.
What you'll bring to this role:
- Post-secondary Degree/Diploma specialization in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
- 5+ years experience in Data Engineering or a similar role.
- 3-5+ years of experience with SQL.
- 3-5+ years of experience building ETL/ELT production pipelines in Python.
- Min 3 years of leadership experience in a team-oriented workplace.
- Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles.
- Knowledge of batch and streaming data architectures.
- Solid understanding and experience with any of the relational databases (MySQL, Postgres, SQLServer etc).
- Experience with Big Data environments (e.g. Google BigQuery) is an asset.
- Experience with CI/CD processes and tools, such as Gitlab runners or Jenkins is required.
- Knowledge of workflow orchestration tools is required (e.g. Apache Airflow)
- Knowledge of Linux and command line commands is required.
- Experience with cloud based infrastructure, especially Google Cloud Platform, is an asset.
- Previous experience with python package development is highly regarded.
- Strong project management skills; able to identify needs, develop effective solutions, and manage projects through to completion.
- Possess a well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and relationship management skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and comfortable in a flat organization.
- Must stay relevant to technology and have the flexibility to adapt to the growing technology and market demands.
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role! Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Please note: Geotab does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Geotab employees.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Flex working arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Baby bonus & parental leave top up program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits
Retirement savings program
*The above are offered to full-time permanent employees only
How we work:
At Geotab, we have adopted a flexible first working model in that we have systems, functions, programs and policies in place to support both in-person and virtual work. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come into our beautiful, safe, clean offices as often as you like. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Virtual work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at email@example.com. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.