Lead Vehicle Systems Engineering
Waterloo, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2024
Who we are:
Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Who you are:
We are always looking for amazing talent who can contribute to our growth and deliver results! Geotab is seeking a Lead Vehicle Systems Engineering team member who will play a pivotal role in driving innovation and technological advancements within the Automotive R&D team. If you love technology, and are keen to join an industry leader — we would love to hear from you!
What you'll do:
The Lead Vehicle Systems Engineering team member will provide technical leadership to a team of developers in designing, implementing, and testing cutting-edge software and hardware solutions for the automotive industry. This role will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including embedded firmware and hardware development, to ensure the successful development of innovative products and features. To be successful in this role you will be a self-starter with strong written and verbal communication skills, and have the ability to quickly understand complex, technical concepts.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Oversee the engineering efforts related to the development and integration of various vehicle data product streams.
- Design and guide best practices and standards regarding vehicle communications with respect to safety and security.
- Aid in the vehicle data reverse engineering process through both data analysis and by helping define and improve existing processes.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including hardware, software, and data engineering, to define the requirements, considerations for performance, safety, reliability, and other key factors to ensure seamless integration between vehicle systems and Geotab's platform.
- Lead the root cause analysis of problems and work with the team to implement effective solutions and improve tooling and workflows
- Define the overall architecture of the vehicle system during investigations. This involves determining how different subsystems will interact, the overall layout of components, and the flow of information between systems.
- Take ownership of technical projects and contribute to their implementation and output.
- Manage and execute system validation and verification activities, ensuring all system components meet safety, reliability, and performance standards.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance on vehicle system-related matters, acting as a subject matter expert for both internal and external stakeholders such as.
- Break down large engineering efforts into smaller pieces that can be completed in parallel in collaboration with the team.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the GO device application and functionality and how all vehicle interaction specific firmware modules work.
- Mentor other developers on the team and work with the management to set the direction of the team and guide key stakeholders on execution choices and trade-offs, and advise management with insights and recommendations to improve the team.
What you’ll bring to this role:
- Post-Secondary Degree/Diploma specialization in Mechanical, Mechatronics, Electrical, Computer, Systems Design, Automotive or a related field.
- 10+ years of experience with various vehicle systems, sensors, actuators and including controls systems, diagnostics and electrical/ communications architecture, design and operation
- Expertise in vehicle architecture, embedded systems, and CAN bus communication protocols.
- Proficiency in vehicle diagnostics via OBD-II (J1979) and J1939, and strong understanding of vehicle communication standards (ie. KWP, UDS).
- Strong understanding of the automotive software architectures for ECU development, such as AUTOSAR, specifically in regards to the application layer/ functional clusters
- Familiarity with Automotive Ethernet and DoIP
- Familiarity with legacy vehicle communication systems (ISO 9141, ISO 14230, SAE J1850, J1708, etc.)
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to problem solve to well-judged decisions.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Able to learn or write SQL queries and Python scripts on data from Google BigQuery to determine device health and effectiveness of new functionality.
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role! Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Please note: Geotab does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Geotab employees.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Flex working arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Baby bonus & parental leave top up program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits
Retirement savings program
*The above are offered to full-time permanent employees only
How we work:
At Geotab, we have adopted a flexible first working model in that we have systems, functions, programs and policies in place to support both in-person and virtual work. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come into our beautiful, safe, clean offices as often as you like. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Virtual work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.