Senior Data Scientist
Oakville, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2023
Who we are:
Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Who you are:
The Senior Data Scientist explores and examines data from multiple sources in order to design and construct new data modeling processes using prototypes, algorithms, predictive models, and custom analyses. This position utilises strong problem-solving skills with statistical analysis in order to align data products with Geotab’s organizational goals.
What you'll do:
We are looking for a senior data scientist to join the Geospatial team with expertise in SQL, geospatial data, and statistical modeling. The Geospatial team is not only responsible for all geospatial related data science initiatives within our Data & Analytics team, but also forms the core data science team for Geotab ITS, the multidisciplinary team behind Geotab’s Intelligent Transportation systems platform. The senior data scientist will both lead and deliver geospatial analytics projects critical to Geotab’s competitiveness as well as to Geotab ITS’s product road map.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Produce and maintain high quality datasets from raw or unstructured data.
- Lead the development of analytical products through statistical modeling or machine learning techniques.
- Identify and execute on opportunities for the organization to leverage geospatial data or geospatial analytical techniques.
- Collaborate with internal technical teams and external stakeholders to gather requirements, improve data quality, and deliver insight to end users.
- Maintain, document, and track metric on the performance of models and cleanliness of datasets.
- Stay informed on technical developments in geospatial data analytics.
What you’ll bring to this role:
- 5-8 years of experience as a Data Scientist or similar role.
- 5-8 years experience in writing concise and efficient SQL queries in a cloud data warehouse environment, e.g. Google BigQuery.
- Experience working with and designing schema for relational databases or warehouses.
- Experience working with spatial data or GIS such as OpenStreetMap or ArcGIS.
- Solid understanding of statistical modeling and machine learning.
- Experience in data pipelines frameworks, e.g. Apache Airflow.
- Experience in data analysis using Python.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and comfortable in a flat organization.
- Strong project management skills; able to identify needs, develop effective solutions, and manage projects through to completion.
- Must stay relevant to technology and should have the flexibility to adapt to the growing technology and market demands.
- Strong team-player with the ability to engage with all levels of the organization.
- Technical competence using software programs, including but not limited to, Google Suite for business (Sheets, Docs, Slides).
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role! Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Please note: Geotab does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Geotab employees.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Work from home and flex work arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Baby bonus & parental leave top up program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits
Retirement savings program
*The above are offered to full-time permanent employees only
How we work:
At Geotab, we have adopted a flexible first working model in that we have systems, functions, programs and policies in place to support both in-person and virtual work. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come into our beautiful, safe, clean offices as often as you like. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Virtual work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at email@example.com. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.